Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good intentions go wrong, oil pump re-seal, pump won't seperate from the block; EA81

I thought i would re-seal the oil pump with the kit i had in the bin for months now. It has the o-rings in it as well.

I have the radiator completely out (flush being down in tandem) and the four oil-pump screws completely out. The FSM indicates two smaller screws coming in from the back, but it seems odd when i look at the engine straight -on.

Am I missing something here? I read only only a few threads posted on here regarding this issue (maybe a poor search, idk).

the v-belt off, radiator completely out, trying to get oil pump off but it won't come off. it spins less than a quarter turn and back but it doesn't pop out. Prying it out is ill advised per the threads here and doesn't seem to make sense in front of it either...

need advice here...

:confused:

yeah, hit it with some pb blaster, and keep working it while gently pulling... resist any desire to hit it, as you'll most likely bust the inner piece...

I did this on a 85 hatch once... busted the inner piece, and the outer came out... it then took me a few more hours of careful prying with a prybar and screwdriver to get the inner broken part/pieces out... :mad:

When I was changing the one in my coupe.. I twisted it and tapped it ( Lightly!!) with a rubber mallet until it finally popped out. Granted I wasnt planning on keeping it..I was swapping in a new one after seeing the pictures on the wear they develop and why it was better to swap in a new one.

The pb blasting worked! Thank you for that tip. After soaking it for several hours, it slide out with much pulling. The hardest part was removing the remains of the old gasket. I used a razor and gently pulled the rest off.

Now the bad news... I lost one of the four bolts that secure the oil pump. Specifically, the lower driver's side bolt, the long one. I lost in in the dirt driveway and even after sweeping the area with a magnet picker-upper, nothing. Its like it vanished into thin air. I am screwed big time!

update:

all put back together, re-sealed, and running like a champ.

Thanks everyone! And yes, the 6x1 pitch 50mm long bolt is the exact right one for the bottom ds hole.

its funny that i thought the hardened black o-rings were washers or part of the component... wow were the rings toast!

USMB rocks!:headbang: