Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mmm, EGR to no EGR engine but the throttle?

SO...

am I right to conclude that if an car came with EGR, it has those litle fun holes poked here and there for the EGR system. As for example those metal lines that run to the throttle?

And when you swap in an non-egr system, what do you do with these possible vacumn leaks? Clog them up or what?

:|

From EJ25D 1996' to a 1995 EJ22!

You're talking about swapping in a non EGR engine, right? Once you put in the new engine, thats it. No extra hoses or parts, just a CEL that you'll never get rid of. Unless you are re-using the throttle body, than there's gonna be a few extra hoses to plug up...

Edited by outbackusjunkus

you are removing an EGR engine...and all it's "holes/vacuums" you mention with it. then you install a non-EGR engine without any "holes..etc" so you have nothing to do.

you'll have a check engine light that is very difficult to get rid of (no one has successfully done it yet). i currently have one and have cut wires, swapped ECU's...etc and there's something funny about how Subaru did this and no one's figured it out yet.

my state doesn't require emissions or anything so it doesn't matter.

you are removing an EGR engine...and all it's "holes/vacuums" you mention with it. then you install a non-EGR engine without any "holes..etc" so you have nothing to do.

you'll have a check engine light that is very difficult to get rid of (no one has successfully done it yet). i currently have one and have cut wires, swapped ECU's...etc and there's something funny about how Subaru did this and no one's figured it out yet.

my state doesn't require emissions or anything so it doesn't matter.

Wonder why the ECU swap didn't work. Did you still have the EGR solinoid wired up when you did? I did some more searching on this and I guess the computer switches the solenoid, then looks for changes in the O2 sensor reading to make sure the system is working. I think the non EGR ECU swap will be the only way to get rid of these codes, and w/all EGR wires cut so it doesn't start "looking" for something it thinks should be there. Thread Hijack...accomplished.

SO...

am I right to conclude that if an car came with EGR, it has those litle fun holes poked here and there for the EGR system. As for example those metal lines that run to the throttle?

Little metal lines to throttle?

I think you are confusing the small coolant hoses that run to the throttle base for vac hose. they are coolant lines, and the 2.2 will have them as well.

he's talking about doing a 2.5 to 2.2 swap. Intakes don't interchange.

No but every item on the 2.5 intake can be moved over to a 2.2 intake if you use a 95, 96 or 97 EGR intake manifold. Thats TBI, piping, sensors, the whole thing. NO CEL's the last 3 I did.

I got rid of the check engine light related to the EGR. its pretty easy.

1. use the wiring harness with the red plug for the egr "pressure valve monitor?" thats located under the drivers side of the manifold.

2. take the whole egr set up off a 2.2 or 2.5 engine ( egr valve, pressure monitor, vacume thingy and throttle body)

3.connect all hoses/vacume lines as if you had an egr.

the ecu is just looking at the pressure monitor so it has no idea that the EGR isn't hooked up to the exhaust. The egr valve will open and close like its supposed to...

I drove my OBW for a month like this until I got a manifold with EGR...I

I got rid of the check engine light related to the EGR. its pretty easy.

1. use the wiring harness with the red plug for the egr "pressure valve monitor?" thats located under the drivers side of the manifold.

2. take the whole egr set up off a 2.2 or 2.5 engine ( egr valve, pressure monitor, vacume thingy and throttle body)

3.connect all hoses/vacume lines as if you had an egr.

the ecu is just looking at the pressure monitor so it has no idea that the EGR isn't hooked up to the exhaust. The egr valve will open and close like its supposed to...

I drove my OBW for a month like this until I got a manifold with EGR...I

I like how before it was all "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF THE CEL' and now everyone is going "derp if you connect it it'd be fine" herp herp.

I'm going to reconnect it so eh, I'm not taping the block/manifold though.