Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early-bird Friday PDX to WCSS Thread

Ahh I forgot. Airshow is that weekend. Plus I have a BMX event thatt saturday afternoon. (yes I still fling myself out of ramps on little bikes) No WCSS for me. Was feeling a bit far anyway being as my Soob is the DD right now (tacoed a wheel on the main vehicle) and pukes out the font seals of both the engine and tranny....

You guys have a blast. :)

Edited by TeamCF

Looks like it adds around 90 miles to the trip if you come over our way (looks like you pop in around Eugene according to mapquest)

Actually Mike, I was looking at possible routes briefly last night.

I was kinda using the route you proposed in (I think it was) your first post, and I am considering meeting up with you guys around Biggs, or maybe Goldendale whenever you roll through on Friday. I don't know how this will correspond to your schedule, but I'm pretty flexible. Once we get closer to actually travelling, we can exchange phone numbers for some "fine tuning" on Thursday night and Friday morning.

I'm really trying to avoid Eugene and Portland, which I view as the two most vile places on Earth (each for completely separate reasons), please don't anyone take that personally:).

That is one scenario being considered.

Roughly, from here: 395 to Susanville, Cal.,

CA-139/OR-39 to K-Falls,

US 97 to Bend, Biggs, etc. continue to WCSS

There are a few variations on that general path to WCSS, which from 89451 does not involve I-5 (I avoid using Mapquest just for that reason).

Edited by NV Zeno
grammar, punctuation

Roughly, from here: 395 to Susanville, Cal.,

CA-139/OR-39 to K-Falls,

US 97 to Bend, Biggs, etc. continue to WCSS

I've found this way to be a bit quicker between Reno and Klamath Falls.

395 to the turnoff for county hwy A3, near Janesville.

Continue on A3 until it meets back up with 395

395 to Alturas

299 to Canby

139/39 to Klamath Falls

I've found this way to be a bit quicker between Reno and Klamath Falls.

395 to the turnoff for county hwy A3, near Janesville.

Continue on A3 until it meets back up with 395

395 to Alturas

299 to Canby

139/39 to Klamath Falls

Yeah, I've tried that way too.

I prefer 139 (Eagle Lake) to 395 Alturas for a couple of reasons, both having to do with the 395 route being more "desert", kinda boring and a little uncomfortably warm while driving my '83 with no A/C. I prefer the more wooded route that 139 provides, cooler and more like Tahoe than Tonopah along the way :rolleyes:.

Absolute fastest/shortest route is not always the best (at least for me).

Just my 2 bucks

Edited by NV Zeno
sp

Yeah, I've tried that way too.

I prefer 139 (Eagle Lake) to 395 Alturas for a couple of reasons, both having to do with the 395 route being more "desert", kinda boring and a little uncomfortably warm while driving my '83 with no A/C. I prefer the more wooded route that 139 provides, cooler and more like Tahoe than Tonopah along the way :rolleyes:.

Absolute fastest/shortest route is not always the best (at least for me).

Just my 2 bucks

139 is great... weve got a cabin at eagle lake on the North end ..nice place..:banana:

Well I guess I'm in. I just hope that I finish my car before I go. Other wise I might just have to take the Outback.

But I'm working as hard and late as possible to get it finished. I don't really have much room for problems once it's finished so I hope everything works right the first time.

-earl

Well I guess I'm in. I just hope that I finish my car before I go. Other wise I might just have to take the Outback.

But I'm working as hard and late as possible to get it finished. I don't really have much room for problems once it's finished so I hope everything works right the first time.

-earl

your not kidding...cmiller and I are having last minute issues..

I had to reposition the driveline angle after reclocking the torsion bars..last night, cmiller rig we have to do struts, strut bearing plate and kingsprings... tommorrow...ack...:eek: had to next day air frieght the strut bearing plates...:eek:

How big is this convoy expected to get? :)

Flowmastered, you have a PM.

Depends how big the nevada crew is... I am hoping for at least 10 cars by the time we get to the show.

Did some scouting today. (And got paid for it... work sent me out there) If we wanted to top off with gas on the way there I am thinking Toppenish (cheaper and easier access than Yakima), then take the little 4 mile road (22 West I think) to I-82 after all our cars tanks are full for the final leg. I really would not like to "assume" everyone can make the drive on a single tank. Remember that we will be pulling mountain passes that may not have any gas for 50 or more miles.

Scoobyclimbs talked about maybe stopping to take photos along the way too... like a ring of subarus parked in front of stonehenge or something... we can discuss that Friday morning.

Edited by Flowmastered87GL

I'm going to need to stop for gas at least once. I get about 225 on a full tank. I know my brothers coupe has a problem with his gas tank and needs to not let it get too low. He's got rust in it which means changing the fuel filters often. Won't have to stop to do that of course, but we'll probably make an extra stop. Not a big deal though. We can hopefully catch up.

Man, things are looking real grim for me making the show now. My car still isn't finished and I have one of the worst colds in history. It's making it very tough for me to go out and finish my car or even get up the motivation to just go at all.

I might just take the Outback, but I'll be leaving later in the day tomorrow.