Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I recently purchased a 1999 outback sport with 57k on it.

I used to own an Audi and loved the AWD and wanted to come back to it after owning a Maxima for several years.

Overall the car seems pretty solid, however, after owning it for a couple weeks I have noticed some issues.

I have noticed a exhausted leak coming from the front end which leads me to believe it's either the header or flex pipe.

I've also noticed a humming coming from the rear end when driving (noticiable when accelerating and decelerating). It almost sounds like loud tires but research leads me to believe that it could be the rear wheel bearings...

I would like to get both of these problems straightened out in the next few weeks because the dealer will pay for the repairs.

Are there any other things that I should be aware of or look out for?

Thank you in advance!

yep, sounds like classic wheel bearing issue. and exhaust leak should be straight forward. those are REALLY expensive usually. last exhaust pipe i priced was over $500 from subaru for a 1996 legacy, obviously i didn't fix it with a new one.

other things to look out for - most importantly - if you're not going to be maintaining this car yourself, is the timing belt. that's an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks, then you'll experience internal engine damage most of the time. this is the timing belt, not the little accessory belts.

your engine has a 105,000 mile replacement interval, but there's probably a time interval as well, no way i'd want a 10+ year old timing belt on an interference engine. not sure what subaru's official recommendations are but leaving a 10+ year old belt is not good practice. the tensioner and pulleys should be checked while it's off - again they're 10+ years old.

make sure it doesn't have torque bind - a braking/slowing feeling going around sharp turns slowly in a parking lot.

yep, sounds like classic wheel bearing issue. and exhaust leak should be straight forward. those are REALLY expensive usually. last exhaust pipe i priced was over $500 from subaru for a 1996 legacy, obviously i didn't fix it with a new one.

other things to look out for - most importantly - if you're not going to be maintaining this car yourself, is the timing belt. that's an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks, then you'll experience internal engine damage most of the time. this is the timing belt, not the little accessory belts.

your engine has a 105,000 mile replacement interval, but there's probably a time interval as well, no way i'd want a 10+ year old timing belt on an interference engine. not sure what subaru's official recommendations are but leaving a 10+ year old belt is not good practice. the tensioner and pulleys should be checked while it's off - again they're 10+ years old.

make sure it doesn't have torque bind - a braking/slowing feeling going around sharp turns slowly in a parking lot.

Totally agree with Grossgary on having the timing belt, along with the t-belt tensioner and pulleys. It is simply important to get that done when current parts are 10 years old. The dealer prolly won't pick up the tab for this work, but may cut you a deal, since you just bought the car from them.

Like you say, the dealer will prolly pick up the tab for probable rear wheel bearing replacement, and exhaust system repair.

The Subie AWD system is just super for stable driving on rain slick or snow slick roads. You will love it.

Suggest you read the forum archives here regarding special care for the AWD feature. It is important to have all 4 tires with pretty much the same tire depth at all times. Also, if ever necessary, have the car flat bed towed, never tow with two wheels remaining on the ground. If ever driven with the spare tire, put the spare on the rear of the car, and insert a fuse in the special fuse holder under the hood to convert the car to front wheel drive only.

All soobies need matching tires of equal wear.

All rubber parts in the front of the engine should be replaced, along with all the parts suggested.

That humrr is a rear wheel bearing. The exhaust noise may be the flex joint in the exhaust system

Oh and i hate you for finding one,

:P

I have a 99 OBS. By far, one of the most overall fun cars I have owned in the 20 yrs I have been driving. Needs some more oomph to be at the top of the list, but the AWD makes it a great all around performer.

Have both rear wheel bearings checked. Good that the dealership is fixing this, as it is kind of pricey but a complete PITA to do yourself. I will never fool with that job again. The mechanic who pressed in the new bearings in my rear hub said the old one was a replacement. My car has 127k on it...now on its third RR bearing.

If you wanna do some modding to it, put a pair of these on your engine:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_33_35_48&products_id=56

I'd also add a bigger sway bar kit and others really praise the fender braces that are pretty inexpensive.

On the inside, my interior is still in very good shape and looks much newer than an 11 yr old car, save a couple things. Impreza carpet was just cheap, in my opinion. I will replace mine when I get bored enough. And, the doors on my car look great except all four of the armrest things are a little wrinkled and get dirty in no time after being cleaned. (And the visors suck, but they did fresh off assembly line.)

The 2.2 is not a powerhouse, but a great little engine. My OBS replaced my 95 Legacy that had 230k on its 2.2 when I sold it. It was purring and running smooth when I sold it. I had to replace the cracked timing belt cover on my OBS at 73k, so I replaced the timing belt while I was in there. The car had no record of it being replaced previously, and it looked as fresh as my new OEM one. You should be fine waiting til the 100k mark, which I think is when Subaru says to change it.

No hatch light on the car annoyed me, so I custom did some little green ones on the back pillars. They work well enough to help see back there. I'll post pics if you are curious.

If you don't already have them, the rear spoilers on the Impreza hatch make a great improvement in looks from certain angles. Pick up a pair if you can find them.

Anyway, congrats on the car. You should have a great vehicle with that few miles on it. Post some pics when you can and show it off. Other than horsepower, I envy no other cars on the road. I plan to drive and enjoy mine for another three years, at which point I hand it over to my son and hopefully buy myself a WRX.

Edited by JT95