Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cv axle removal

Thank you very much Now just trying to find some empi axles

Check the USRM for directions on removing the axles. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75786

I would suggest you try MWE axles (Colorado firm). There's lots of discussion on rebuilt axle quality; use the search function.

I know GD doesn't care which side you knock out the roll pin from, but my experience has been it's easier to knock it out from the unbevelled side. Certainly easier to re-install the rollpin from the bevelled hole side. You'll be able to tell instantly which side is which when you get a closer look at the axle joint.

Edited by edrach

So ive been reading and, so far im trying to figure out how to get the little spring pin out. I have read you need a drift-tool, is there a size needed, and where can i get one. Then it says to hit it out from the unbeveled side? How can you tell what side is unbeveled?
Drift tool info from the USRM:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109567

Another reason to pay attention to the bevelled holes when installing axles:

If you line up the bevelled hole on the stub axle of the transmission with the bevelled hole on the DOJ, it will prevent a problem with the axle being installed 1/2 turn out of alignment.

Another reason to pay attention to the bevelled holes when installing axles:

If you line up the beveled hole on the stub axle of the transmission with the beveled hole on the DOJ, it will prevent a problem with the axle being installed 1/2 turn out of alignment.

Yeah I did both sides yesterday and one side went on NO hitch, drivers side, where there is less access and you have to crawl under to put axle on the tranny, I COULDN'T get it to sit on the tranny right and I was getting soooooo PISSED cuz I thought they gave a me 1 good axle and 1 turbo axle.......

Short story short: Line them holes up and they go on like butta, have it 180 degrees off and it will start to fit then just get JAMMED.

But I got 2 new axles and rollin CLICK FREE!!!

-Nomad