Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 ej22 in a 2002 outback, reasonable?

Hey Guys, I've searched high and low and have not found the definitive answer I seek, I purchased a 2002 Outback ej25 sohc for cheap, with bad headgaskets, pulled motor, new gaskets (oem) reinstalled, skip is gone but it still pushes MUCH! air out the radiator when running. I did not get the heads milled, the engine had been overheated bad enough to melt the timing cover near the oil filter so I figured it was a calculated risk. I have a good ej22 from a 97 impreza with trans. and all wiring. I understand the 4 bolts/8 bolts bellhousing thing and apparently the ej22 intake does not swap with the 2002 ej25 sohc engine ,right? I'm no noob to mechanics, it is what I do, and have done since I was young (lots of crappy cars and no cash had benefits I guess) I can have the car down for as long as needed, it's a 3rd vehicle at this point. Oh, and on an unrelated note my 1997 Legacy Gt runs a 94 ej22 and passes OBD2 inspection, I drilled a hole in the "y" pipe and extended the egr tube from the '97 intake down to meet it, it works , has been on the road over a year like this and throws no codes. Just figured I would mention it. Anyway, suggestions?

Anything is possible given enough time and Money. I believe there are some ECU wiring differences that will need to be taken care of.

Check www.car-part.com and see if they have a good engine for you. Less time and may be less money.

Larry

Unwise to try that swap.

Wireing/sensors/controls would be the issue. I believe it'll bolt right up. But when you want to start to plug stuff in it's gonna get very ugly very quickly.

The most cost effective engine I have found locally is $1300, I already have the EJ22, but if it takes 100 man hours to make it work it would hardly be worth it. Scott

a better choice than the 97 would be a 00-01 ej22, maybe a 99. in other words the phase 2 ej22. 99 was the last year for an ej22 in the lagacy, but impreza used them another year or maybe two. maybe a cheaper solution.

Should have spent the extra cash to have the heads milled.

Heck....that is probably still you're cheapest option. Tear is back down and fix it right. Pressure test the heads, shave them, use subaru head gaskets, and it should be fine.

The potential for bearing failure is exactly why I chose not to mill the heads, it does not knock right now, but 6 mos. from now?. I have a fairly well equipped shop and it's my labor so pulling the motor again is no biggie. The gaskets and such only came to about $200 . I guess if I were to try and save the engine in it the only real solution would a complete rebuild, otherwise I would rather try doing a reseal and install one that was not "cooked" . The smell of the oil in it was about enough to make me sick , I figured if I could install new headgaskets and have it be OK for now I would run it and keep an eye open for another engine that I figured I would eventually need anyway, I just need to do it sooner not later and I have tons of faith in the EJ22 motors durability. Scott

Well, it's certainly not reasonable but I am doing it anyway, after much thought, measuring, research and head scratching I have decided a "mutant hybrid" intake is the solution to putting the 97 ej22 in the 02 Outback, all the sensor ports and the "air assist" injector seats have been hacked off and fit to the ej22 intake. Now to get it all welded up.th_004.jpg?t=1283130493

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this keeps getting more twisted as it goes, I got the manifold back, it was a site to behold, reassembled the fuel plumbing, throttle body, wiring etc.. parts car showed up yesterday, opened the hood, says it's a '98, but the manifold looks oddly familiar, like the one I cut up to make the mutant hybrid out of . Pried the driver's door open, (car was a totalled roll over) salvage tag..... uh oh :eek:. So I got a series 2 ej22 parts car when I was expecting a series one ej22, I have a cross breed manifold for a series 1 ej22 into a 2002 series 2 ej25, and no series 2 ej25 manifold to bolt onto my series 2 ej22 that I have now. Anyone out there have an 02 ej25 manifold they would like to part with? Scott

wow that stinks. you're wanting to drop a Phase II EJ22 into a Phase II EJ25 right?

1-800-657-4403 has one for $35

1-800-231-9121 $50 in CT

Another option might be to swap the EJ25 intake manifold wiring harness on the EJ22 intake manifold. I haven't done that way yet so not sure if that's possible.

Though I'm with you i'd rather go the simpler route and have an entire manifold to save the time. All i have is phase I stuff right now.