Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well.... I took the impreza into the shop to figure out why it still wouldn't pass emissions, and they said the cat is disintegrating and sending bits back into the muffler (explains the exhaust rattle...). They are estimating $1000 to fix it, and that's not including if it needs a new muffler. Ouch. I priced out the same components myself, and came to $500 in components alone, the cheapest places I could find them.

So much for the dual range impreza... :dead: Not sure when I'll have the cash to fix that.

Maybe.... I priced them on Rock Auto, and for the front cat it was $180, for the back cat 220ish, and then another $100 for the O2 sensor in the back (which is the wrong one for some reason -- guess it's not the same as the front one that Checker auto sold me. If it's just bolting and unbolting stuff... I can do that. I do have a wirefeed welder, but would prefer not to have to weld exhaust pipe together under the car since I don't have a lift and welding while laying right under it isn't so much fun :) BTDT

It's a '97 outback impreza with the 2.2 liter, if that makes a difference.

Z

why it still wouldn't pass emissions, and they said the cat is disintegrating and sending bits back into the muffler (explains the exhaust rattle...).

what CEL do you have?

is the exhaust rattle only when you tap on it or when you are driving?

how many miles?

i looked in a subaru rear cat recently for the first time ever (the pipe broke off and i got to see the inside) and i was surprised. there was nothing in there except a screen. probably a very hi-tech screen but thats all. nothing to "send back" to the muffler.

my point is, cats can go bad, but subie cats, not very often. lots of cars have 250k with original cats. lots of things will fail emmissions test, bad cats is just one of them. almost any? CEL will fail you. and depending on the CEL, it may not be cats at all.

more info please.

is it failing because of engine codes? if so then just do the $5 anti-fouler fix and be done with it. or post the codes you're getting.

if you're actually failing a tail pipe sniff test, then there's other options too. often just a tune up - plugs, wires, air filter, PCV will fix that. my F150 failed maryland emissions, replaced those items and it passed with flying colors. Use subaru wires and OEM NGK plugs.

there's also "tricks" for passing emissions tests - like fuel additives, etc. dump a bottle, pass, you're good to go.

if you end up actually needing a catalytic converter try and find a used one or have a shop weld in an aftermarket converter in place of the existing one. if you find an honest shop you can have a new aftermarket converter welded in place for really cheap. there's almost no material costs and they can weld really fast.

Also (on top of doing a tune up) trying using "premium" fuel and buy a bottle of octane (about $8) and that will help out on emissions. though you said its the wrong o2 sensor on that.... that will need to be replaced and that should work out... I know a shop told me i needed to replace a cat on my old toyota so i did and it only lowered the emissions by 2 "points" and it was 8 over the limit. did the premium and added octane passed with flying colors.

I'd be curious on how he figured that it was throwing pieces of the cat through the rest of the exhaust system. That sends red flags up to me. Something doesn't sound quite right to me here. I'd look into a tune up and checking if you have thrown any codes that might not have come up before you invest in new cats.

Anyway, when someone fails emissions and are quoted a high price fix, it nearly always concerns me. Too many are getting ripped off this way.

Edited by Allpar Mod

what CEL do you have?

is the exhaust rattle only when you tap on it or when you are driving?

how many miles?

i looked in a subaru rear cat recently for the first time ever (the pipe broke off and i got to see the inside) and i was surprised. there was nothing in there except a screen. probably a very hi-tech screen but thats all. nothing to "send back" to the muffler.

my point is, cats can go bad, but subie cats, not very often. lots of cars have 250k with original cats. lots of things will fail emmissions test, bad cats is just one of them. almost any? CEL will fail you. and depending on the CEL, it may not be cats at all.

more info please.

It can happen..

http://www.2carpros.com/how_does_it_work/catalytic_converter.htm