Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bosch D3300 Distance Plus High Performance Oil Filter

What are you trying to accomplish that you don't think the OEM filter is adequate for?

Personally I run OEM or WIX (NAPA and Carquest are also WIX OEM) on all my oil filters. I have yet to have a problem with any of these alternatives.

It's been my experience that the Germans make good oil filters - but then so do the Japanese and I haven't had any problems with OEM or WIX which are both readily availible. The Bosch stuff tends to be more expensive (than NGK plugs, WIX/OEM filters, etc) and either no tangible differences in performance or in the case of the Bosch plugs they can cause running issues with some Subaru engines and the wisdom around here is that NGK is a better and cheaper option.

GD

Does WIX/OEM have a premium worth mentioning?

They've been around for a long time, they are time tested, and OEM were chosen by Subaru because they met their strict standards.

If you want to pay a whole bunch extra for a gimmicky oil filter be my guest, its your money. For my car I use OEM, or WIX, they are brands I trust, and they are affordable.

Advanced Synthetic Fiber Media has 300 percent Greater Capacity.

300% greater capacity than what? Or for that matter, of what?

Bosch is great and all, but a basic Purolator will work just as well and cost half as much.

Of the high end filters, Wix and Mann are probably the best IMO.

Rule of thumb, don't mix German and Japanese parts. Germans make German parts to work with other German parts on German cars. Japanese make Japanese parts to work with other Japanese parts on Japanese cars. Germans don't make parts for Japanese cars. Japanese don't make parts for German cars.

Capacity for what? "300% greater" than what?

Why do you beleive you need this? More directly - why do you beleive that the OEM filter is inferior?

Please elaborate - note that I am asking what you are trying to accomplish here - not for a quotation from some marketing materials about the superiority of their filtering media.

Filtration is a tricky subject and the statement "300% greater capacity" means absolutely nothing. It sounds really great to most people but means very little without elaboration.

GD

There was a time I used Fram oil filters (roundly dissed by others here). The point is I never had any issues with them since I changed oil/filter every 2500 miles.

I have since changed to OEM Subaru and I buy them 6 or 12 at a time through 1stsubaruparts.com (by 'phone with Jason in Parts, 866-528-5282). With the online discount, the price is low enough to justify stocking the filters and I go through them pretty rapidly since I have three cars that I do on the 2500 to 3000 mile interval.

No need to spend extra money for a "premium" product IMHO.

there's a good amount of oil filter threads, i'd check those out. i too prefer WIX but use Purolator Pure One usually just for availability reasons.

if an engine is needing to capture that much more "dirt" then the owner or vehicle is to blame for being in such bad shape that it's "creating" or "intaking" that much dirt.

you could make a device which allows you to use two oil filters - "increasing" your capacity to hold dirt. but there's no need so no one is doing it.

increasing "capacity" could decrease performance. more medium could mean more restrictions, tighter passages, reduced oil pressure available, etc. this is the way it is in anything technical, you rarely gain something without loosing something too. so you have to be careful of marketing ploys that stuff one extra row of material in just to market that it has "more".

for every good product out there, there are a thousand marketing ploys to get your money for inferior or par products. I admittedly don't know but would speculate, as it seems others are eluding too, that this is mostly a marketing gimmick to get you to buy their filter.

There are all sorts of ways to market something when it actually offers no real world difference. Statistics are what you make them as well. Don't be a product of marketing - make good informed decisions based on folks that actually know what they're talking about, have lots of experience, and not a dime to gain. There in lies the value of this board.

increasing "capacity" could decrease performance.

It can and probably will under the usage patterns that it is likely to see. Filters don't filter very well out of the box - they actually filter better as they age - to a point of course. More capacity means it doesn't age as quickly and thus the particulate size trapped will be larger for a longer period of time.

The stock Subaru filter is designed to be used for 15,000 miles. Part of the reason is that it filters better as it ages so that changing it continuously resets the filtration particulate size to the base media size and never filters out the small stuff.

I can't see needing a larger capacity (thus a filter that lasts longer) in an application where 3,000 mile oil changes are the "conventional wisdom" and the Subaru filter is designed for 15,000. Frankly most people are changing them much too soon anyway....

GD

The only other filter I use on my subies besides the OEM are Denso filters. And the only time I use them is if I need to increase my order when shopping on autopartsway.ca. Spend over $75.00 and get free shipping. I have used Denso products on other vehicles I have owned and am satisfied with their quality. If it weren't for being a miserly penny-pincher I wouldn't use them at all:lol:. I agree with the rest of the responses here. OEM filters are cost-effective, reliable, and, just like the rest of the car, are engineered better than the demands any North American driver places on them.