Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22- interface or non interface?

Depends on the year. 93-96 is non-interference while 97 and later are.

On the legacy, 90 to 96 is non-interference. 97 and up legacys use the interference motor.

The impreza didn't go to the interference motor until around 1999. all 97 and most 98's are non-interference, not overly sure about 99. It was transitional.

The impreza didn't go to the interference motor until around 1999. all 97 and most 98's are non-interference, not overly sure about 99. It was transitional.

i thought the ej22s were all the same in 97 -98. tweaked with new pistons a little higher horse power and interference 9due to yhe pistons). not the phase 2 ej22 that came out in 99, but not the non-interference engine of 95 - 96.

I'm pretty sure the legacy changed to the phase 2 in 97, and the impreza lagged.

nope. 99 was the intro of phase 2, which only lasted 3 years in the US before they discontinued the ej22, here.

the 97 - 98 lgoe ej22 does not have plug holes through the valve cover.

looking at a 97 ej22 you can't tell it, at least i can't, without a lot of studying, if it is 96 or 97. in 99 the intake changed to use the same one that the ej25 used.

I'm pretty sure the legacy changed to the phase 2 in 97, and the impreza lagged.

The other difference with the phase 2 is heads. Plugs go through the valve covers much like on an ej25, and they have a MAP sensor instead of a MAF.

a lot of your comments here aren't right. where are you getting this from?

unless we're missing something you might be confusing EJ18's and Ej22's - EJ18's were never interference, so however long they were offered in impreza's, those would be non-interference. EJ22's in impreza's were interference 97+ as others have already stated - same as legacy.

The other difference with the phase 2 is heads. Plugs go through the valve covers much like on an ej25, and they have a MAP sensor instead of a MAF.

While your participation is welcome, your bad information is not. Please check up and be accurate with your postings.

Ok, now that I know my engine isn't interface, anyone care to explain in detail just what that means? I think I have a basic understanding of it, but I would love to know the details.

Any takers?:grin:

it means your valves never open enough to hit a piston. The only time you worry about valves hitting pistons is when a timing belt breaks.

Ok, now that I know my engine isn't interface, anyone care to explain in detail just what that means?

It means very little unless you break a timing belt - which is a few and far between type of incident on Subaru's. Unless you just straight don't do any maintenance on them - even then there's only a small chance that what stops it from driving is actually a broken/skipped belt that damages valves, etc.

The EJ belts are awesome units and this whole "I can't own an interfereance engine" crap is just that - crap. Many of the people that feel that way came from the EA82 and have bad experiences with broken belts - it just doesn't happen on EJ's unless things get neglected. That's why Subaru went to interferance engine designs - they have advantages in effeciency and power over the non-interferance engines.

So the reality is that they were non-interferance until the belt system was well proven - when it was determined that they were past the belt-breakage stage of engineering the need for non-interferance engines evaporated. So really it's not a "YAY!" sort of thing - it's ok if you feel like you may not be doing any maintenence till the thing breaks or feel that your skills in installing a belt are poor and might cause a breakage.... but frankly it's a non-issue.

GD

it means your valves never open enough to hit a piston. The only time you worry about valves hitting pistons is when a timing belt breaks.

In stock applications, yes. In modified conditions, no. When durations increase on modified camshafts you have to verify fit and clearance of valve to piston clearance.

As far as Arty's engine though. It simply means that when, not if, you break a timing belt, the valves will not bend from contact with the piston.