Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Build!

1982gl4

"Short" shifter has been built kind of, it's better but not perfect, I think I'm going to role with it for now, it wouldn't take much to modify it some more in the future I need to get it running before I worry about much else for now.

This is how much I took off the top and added below the mount. It does have a shorter throw but could be a bit better

3-24.jpg

11-7.jpg

It's a bad thing you gave me that link... All of mine need them :grin: those seat belt covers would be nice too! Thanks, I may have to wait a bit to get one, but that's on the list of things to get now!

I hear ya. I've already got two from him and I've got two more coming. They are so awesome.

• 1 month later...

Well about time to bring this thing back:)

Brought my drive shaft in today, going to have a new one made, and soon I'm going to be having power steering lines made up. I bought another project so that's why this has been on hold. Now that that one is mostly wrapped up, time to get back to my real project!!

Well... you helped me make up my mind.

I am going to get my new (old) Brat back on the road and enjoy it this Summer, rebuild my 2 extra ea81 engines and sell them and any duplicate parts and put the money into a modernized drive train (not sure if 2.5 or 2.0 turbo).

You have done a heck of a job... I'm having my 12 year old rebuild one of the ea81's and he wants the Brat when he can drive... I hope he picks up 1/2 as much as you did from your Dad.

I'm adding this to my favorites page... now get back on it... I can't wait to hear this thing is running!:banana:

Thanks! I love this project, and need to focus on it again, I have to do some welding on a 65 ford this weekend, but after that I'm going to get right back on this! A couple solid weeks of work and it will be close to being on the road again! And the reason I did a 2.5 with 2.2 heads is because I didn't have to cut the engine bay apart. A DOHC engine is around 33 inches wide, and a ea81's engine bay is around 31 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

I need motivation. Anyone? :lol:

Work has been crazy busy and I have been saving so I can pay off most of school before I go back in the fall, but I really need to get back on this thing. I haven't heard anything about my driveshaft, was hopping it would be finished by now, sunday I plan on working on the power steering lines, and maybe some of the wiring.

Things left to do as of right now

Program ECU (not sure how to do this)

create a map (not sure how to do this...)

The rest of the wiring

Put in the new driveshaft

power steering

alignment

put my wheels back on (they are on my lego right now)

fuel lines

fuel pump

and then there's stuff like rust work in the bed and such, but that's no big deal that could even wait until the winter again.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, So my driveshaft should be in this Tuesday :banana: and today I got fuse boxes! Saab 900 ones will be perfect for what I need. It has an accessible back with easy to follow wires to each one, and places for relays as well. I need to sell my impreza and then I'll have all the money to finish this It's hard to juggle all of these projects. May Order sway bars this weekend that would be well invested money.

I'm not sure. I never though to weigh it before I took it out. But I would think it wouldn't add all that much. The engine is a little heavier, and the trans I would think would be about the same. I could weigh it at the local scrap yard when it's all said and done :)

Pics of progress! The painted driveshaft (now in) and what I did for wiring today. It came out really well. I only have a few things left to hook up including the alternator, gauges, the fuel pump (wired, but needs lines) and an 02 sensor, but I may be getting a wide band for it when I sell my impreza. Today I wired every thing left for sensors, and made a radiator fan circuit (the relay below the new fuse box is a part of that)

5-15.jpg

All that's left

3-26.jpg

And a body shot for fun! (yes the wheels have changed, the good ones are on my lego, but I'm swapping them back this week)

4-19.jpg

:headbang:Gotta love it!:headbang: EJ swap has been bouncing around my brain of late. I enjoy the simplicity and reliability of the EA and not sure if i want to tear up the Brat that much. On the other hand i do have an '84 wagon that would be a great candidate for the swap......

You gonna pretty it up with some new paint when done?

I was thinking about leaving the ea81, but I kept having issues with it (something was up with the fuel system it kept leaving me stranded all the time), so this happened :lol: As for paint, I did that last year, so nope. I may repaint the engine bay, and do a bedliner, but that's about it. I like leaving it semi stock. So it looks kind of like a sleeper. As of right now, most people would think it was a Brat with fog lights, and that's what I'm going for :)

As for paint, I did that last year, so nope. I may repaint the engine bay, and do a bedliner, but that's about it.

Ahhh.... pics don't do it justice. Get a quality bedliner, cheap ones look like crap and really don't hold up even if you haul NOTHING! Looking forward to the finished product, granted never really finished.

No kidding it's been gathering dust since october :-\ It looks really good when it's all cleaned up, and I was thinking that for the bed liner. I plan on having it professionally done. As far as updates on the project I'm trying to upload software for the MS as of right now... We will see how this goes....