Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone chime on a NAPA timing component kit?

This kit is 440$ which seems a little high to me. The belt IS made by Gates and who knows where the idlers and tensioner come from?

Any input is appreciated. Gotta pull the trigger on this cam seal project asap.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NBH2522772_0261420873&An=599001+101998+50068+2068008+11040+599999+109999+59999+3999999

A LOT of us get them from theimportexperts.com. GMB bearings. Some use their WP as well.

They normally ship MitsubOshi timing belt - supposedly OEM. I usually buy Dayco (which they used to have and probably still do) and Now I believe them have Continental and another name brand as well.

I got assessory belts as well. They were Continental. I wanna say one was 5 bucks and the other 6 bucks?

Hard to beat kits for value really.

I get OEM WP gasket, local sourced metal WP, and OEM crank/cam seals and you're good to go. I believe some have even used their seals. For the price of OEM I've never had a problem with an OEM so that's what I use.

YMMV

i used the seals from theimportexperts on my first go around and 25k later i have some oil leaking, front and rear. i didn't know any better. i hope i didn't knick anything when removing the crank seal and i didn't replace the rear main so that leak may be the valve cover or cam cap???

my second time around, different car, i bought the timing kit w/ water pump from the ''experts'' and got a gasket kit from mizumoto or what ever they are called. that engine just went in and i am hopeful. (i still didn't know any better.) i didn't use very many of the gaskets in the kit but it was still cheaper than the local parts store. i only used the exhaust gaskets, and the front seals, crank, cam, and o rings.

the only plus to using cheap seals on the front of the engine is you do not have to pull it to replace them when they fail. but for a few dollars, you can buy subaru and not have to replace them. a cheap or incorrectly installed rear main seal will be a real headache to deal with.

i think next time, i will buy all of my seals from subarugenuineparts.com, when i order my oil seperator plate and oil pump o-ring. some stuff has to come from subaru so may as well combined shipping and get it all at once.

kits usually are about the same cost IIR. Just a different timing belt. I['m guessing around 125.00 for all idlers and generic timing belt.

I always get accessory belts too. While they are off, why not replace them.

Seals, Orings, etc and you're hopefully done for another 100k.

250$ with a 50 water pump\metal gasket, 3 idlers, tensioner, and he said it was an entry level belt spec'd for strict manual intervals. Glad I didn't go to Napa...so far. Triangle Auto supply was who I dealt with over the phone and they were great!! Thanks folks!! standy by........

Some buy a name brand belt, like Gates, Dayco or Continental to replace the generic one in the kits. Your call. If you do use the generic one make sure you change it at the required interval.

I buy a Dayco. I have used their belts on a few non-interference engines for cheap folks with kids that are likely to wreck the car before the timing belt dies.