Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I was putting these wheels on my car I noticed that the nuts did not go all the way onto the threads. (see picture) I am concerned that the nuts may back themselves out. Before I test out the wheels on the road, I would like to know your opinion on the issue.

13998654.jpg

aluminum oem wheels use lug nuts that are chromed, and the end is covered. These are not the correct nuts for oem aluminum wheels. I doubt it has anything to do with the studs, but EVERYTHING to do with the style of nut you chose to use. Get the right nuts and be done.

like this

IMGA1111.jpg?t=1289966411

They're probably fine. The stud comes up to the last thread of the lug nuts. The main thing you would have to worry about there is stripping the thread when tightening.

Some wheels do require "mag" (that's what I've always heard then called at least) type lug nuts rather than the standard conical seat kind. The mag type use a cylindrical shaft to center the lug stud and hold the wheel with a large flat washer. Seen here: kit611-103.jpg

I know Chrysler, Lincoln, and Jaguar use these, probably plenty of others as well.