Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusty 4WD wagon.

Loyale002.jpg

Now all I have to do is get some fiberglass resin, matting, bondo, and some expanding foam. I've done this before with rusthole's the size of football's and it lasted for years. I've got a few thousand hours experience working in body shops, but normally I just welded on patch panels. Thank's for the help with the copy & paste thing. I'm a greenhorn with computer's.

Any Loyale I've ever had - that was at that stage of rust- was a pure waste of time to attempt "fixing." If that car was in the salt-belt of New York, nothern Vermont (Northeast Kingdom), or northern Michigan (UP) - it might have two winters left in it, before the rear springs broke through the wheel wells.

I've got over a dozen rusted out 4WD Loyales sitting up in my field. All ran fine when junked - just rusted beyond repair. In NY, many shops won't let them pass inspection when they get rusty - even if not really broken yet. When I used to live in northern Vermont, it was even worse since inpsection was twice a year instead of once. That was back in the 70s, and at that time, many older "hippies" with Subarus got fail-stickers.

Sheet-metal in Loyales is just plain terrible. I've seen few cars that rust so bad - even when parked. I'm on what will probably be my last - a 92 wagon. It's ready to fall apart. I've searched, but have been unable to find any more Loyales bodies that lack rust and are worth keeping.

My first "newer" Subaru was a 95 Impreza and it was rusty when I bought it in 2000. But, to my amazement, that rust is fairly stable and it has held up much better then any Loyale could ever do. Still has the original exhaust too, so it must have some stainless steel in it.

I miss the true 4WD that Loyales have (if stick shift), but don't miss the very poor sheet-metal, lack of rust-proofing, and very crappy exhaust systems.

It took me forever to learn how to post pics! And that's nothing for rust! you should have seen the ones that I have fixed :rolleyes: Vt winters are a little rough on the cars from the 80's! Any other plans besides fixing the rust?

-SB

I'm going to put it up in the air and see if the rear suspension component's are stable. If so, I'm planning on a SJR lift kit and getting some patch panel's. The tail end of both rocker panel's is rusted away too. I shall see what I can do. A $150 4WD Loyale that run's good still wasn't a bad deal far as I'm concerned.

In all honesty that rust is nothing compared to the beauty of a brat im fixing up right now it has rust holes so big I can litterally put my head through them but I will fix it including all suspension and keep it on the road it might cost me a pretty penny but here in minnesota we find somthing we like and we try to keep it alive and improve on it instead of giving up on it its part of the whole minnesota nice thing I think :rolleyes:

I'm going to put it up in the air and see if the rear suspension component's are stable. If so, I'm planning on a SJR lift kit and getting some patch panel's. The tail end of both rocker panel's is rusted away too. I shall see what I can do. A $150 4WD Loyale that run's good still wasn't a bad deal far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure prices vary by region. Rusty 4WD Loyales sell for next to nothing around here in NY, even if running perfectly. Easy to buy for scrap value and often less. I gave away two 4WD Loyale wagons last year that some people wanted to make farm-buggies out of. One had the high-low range transfer case that I now kind of wish I'd kept. Kind of sad because I've never had a major mechanical failure in a Loyale. Engines burn oil but seem to last forever. The three speed auto-trans has a terrible 4WD setup, but still seems to last. Clutches, rear driveshaft universal joints, front CV shaft boots, and exhaust sytems often need work. That's all pretty minor stuff - unless you try to buy rear universal joints from a Subaru dealer. I'd love to find more Loyale bodies that are rust free. Just don't come across them anymore. I think they rot from the inside out.

oh how i love australia =)

on a side note, maybe a buisness opertunity. there a loads of older subarus here that are dumped for lack of power, or the engines over heat. perhaps if i get a hold of some, cut them into half cuts or panels it would be worth shipping them to USA for you guys to use for repairs?

on a side note, maybe a buisness opertunity. there a loads of older subarus here that are dumped for lack of power, or the engines over heat. perhaps if i get a hold of some, cut them into half cuts or panels it would be worth shipping them to USA for you guys to use for repairs?

same here! I love texas. screw the salt. screw the rust. My 88 GL has one rust spot on it, which is in the rear wheel arch and only cosmetic, I have por15'd the little "fatherless child" and plan on glassing it over.

To the OP, PLEASE LOOK AT POR15 before your repair all that rust. Por15 is guaranteed to stop rust DEAD and I believe it, It really is a awesome product. I would Por it before bondo, 'glass, etc

i have repaired all my big rust holes like the OP's and two that leaked water over the rear wheels. i used roofing tin for my patches, pop riveted over the holes. i trimmed away all the old rust first, sealed with a tiny bit of silicone caulk, and afterwards, filled the hole up with great stuff expanding foam. never leaks water or mud so i think it works somewhat alright for a 1-2 hour fix.

, filled the hole up with great stuff expanding foam. never leaks water or mud so i think it works somewhat alright for a 1-2 hour fix.

The "Great Stuff" is open-cell foam and soaks up water like a sponge. Looks good at first, but make a worse mess in the long-run. Soaks up water and helps things rot.

same here! I love texas. screw the salt. screw the rust. ...

Same Here... Gotta Love my Caribbean Country!!! ;)

I've Repaired Rust with New Welded Panels and Then, Prior to do Primer Paint, I Use an Industrial Anti-Rust Paint epoxy Compound, which is Black and its Finish is very Thick. Something Similar to This Product.