Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Straight axles?

True2Blue

Whats your 2 cents?

Its goes like this:

Subaru engine transmission and body.

triangulated 4 link kit (front and rear)

Axles?

T Case?

IF you were to put Straight axles under a GL wagon what truck would be your doner? or would you miss match?

(t case also)

If you wouldn't ever do this or dont have anything useful to say please dont post.

suzuki axles fit the width, so do TOy axles.Dana 35's and 30"s almost fit the profile , but those were some old old axles i have too...

umm, i personally am stepping away from the zook axles because i know how i am.i will break them then be pissed i didna go bigger.it really depends on how much tire you think you will shoehorn in there.

33's are at the topend of zook stuff, 35's if you drive nicely and have chromo's.

toy stuff with chromos can go past 37's.but that requires upgrades to steering, brakes, and GOOd chromo's......

you also have to consider steering.needing a steering box, etc......

the transfer case issue is another monster.

zook-divorced-can get rather cheap upgrade gears to 6.8/1

toyota-can get a divorcedd kit for it(well, you used to be able to , not sure now), good options for gearing

np205 you can find divorced, but then you run into coupling issues(ujoints)

special drivelines , etc...

then there is the whole non divorced issue.people making adapter plates and using whatever they want.this is a new wave of happiness for us around here.we have been so limited in options that any new option is awesome.

i say go with what you know........or have done ************tons of research on.

etc.there is a ton of info that goes into this.if you are thinking about doing it

you might do some outside research.but remember, you talk to a ford guy, he'll tell ya to use this, and talkin to a chevy guy will tell you to use that, etc...

what do you have access to? etc...

toyota's are super strong when setup proper, huge aftermarket for gearrs , etc, and they can be relatively easy to find although not very cheap anymore.none of them are a cheap option, as it is not a cheap project.

the rear axles can come from just about anything as long as you can make a driveline to couple them ......

i have tried doing this project 2 or 3 times now.each time gathering more and more info.and getting more and more material to go forward.with little space and limited time it has hindered me.it takes a lot of space to do and stay on track.

regardless , attaching mounting points to the unibody is not acceptable. they WILL rip out.you need a subframe, for suspension mounts, and the transfercase.

and, your not gonna find a "kit" for the link setup.geometry will be way different than anything out there.so, if you think yo can just go buy a kit and make it work i can tell you that it will make MORE work than you think it will to make it work:grin:that was a mouthful......

anyways.cheers, b

Edited by monstaru

I'm wating for Bill Hinchers' Custom Bellhousing for the Toyota trans.

Then my combo would be this.

Subie engine (EG33?)

Toyota trans and transfer case.

Not sure I'd go to solid axles, but if I did it would be Yota's

I might just use a 4.11 subie diff up front, and a welded Nissan front diff stuck in the back, with the Nissan locking hubs on rear. (Props to SJR for the idea)

awesome input.

Ill be looking for a donor toyota soon my wifes dad has a 'spare' one sittin around...

As for the 4 link kit i know its not going to be a bolt in but having all the parts will benefit me more then trying to make one from scrap.

I should really state everything i have planned so i can move around those issues. ie:

Sub frame... i know the 4 link would rip right out of the Subaru's body, Yes i do plan to build sub frame for the 4 link and for the shock mounts i have an additional idea/mod for those too

i can get drive lines matched that not a problem its getting the right width i dont have specs for width i figured a sami or yota would be the best bet. Jeep popped up first, i figured they would be wide and id have to get 4-5" flares to save me from the cops..

If i can get a complete Toyota and inter-grade its steering box and axle setup with a modded Nissan t case i should be able to avoid an ej swap (only for awhile since the suspension will be my focus).

My thoughts are as follows:

86-89 GL Wagon

Toyota straight axles

Nissan T Case

Toyota steering box

Custom sub frame

4 Link suspension

33's are pushing it for me

ill post links to the items im looking at

Edited by True2Blue

If i can get a complete Toyota and inter-grade its steering box and axle setup with a modded Nissan t case i should be able to avoid an ej swap (only for awhile since the suspension will be my focus).

FWIW, an EJ swap would be a simple project compared to the crazy fabrication you are proposing.

IMO, a 4 or 6 inch lifted GL with stock axles, trans.....and an EJ......is a VERY capable rig........for pretty minimal work.

Don't let me discourage you from wicked awesomeness......but you can do ALOT with stock drivetrain and a bit more HP.

FWIW, an EJ swap would be a simple project compared to the crazy fabrication you are proposing.

IMO, a 4 or 6 inch lifted GL with stock axles, trans.....and an EJ......is a VERY capable rig........for pretty minimal work.

Don't let me discourage you from wicked awesomeness......but you can do ALOT with stock drivetrain and a bit more HP.

IMO welding is way easier then retrowiring

I plan on an ej swap but it will push the finnish time way back. i just want to lift a gl with 4 linked yota axles. If i play my cards right i can get the lift and axles for the same price as scotts 6" lift.

i know they are capable ive had 4 lifted subarus but none of them will compare to what i have planned (if all goes well)

this is a good reference. i want to do a triangulated 4 link not this one..

http://www.latenitecustoms.com/toyota_build_pics.htm

yea i know its not a subaru but its my reference as to 'How?"

Thats not a triangulated 4-link.

This is tho...http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/suspension/154_0603_jeep_suspension_four_link_lingo/photo_04.html

As far as "how" goes, I have put a very limited amount of thought into this, but I think it may be possible to use the rear suspension crossmember to mount the 4 link to. Ya, I know it is still only bolted to the unibody, but there are ways to reinforce that. My lifted car is somewhat subframed and it wouldn't be very difficult to modify it to accept the 4 link setup you speak of.

Edited by obk25xt

well, you can see here that a stock toy frame could possibly be put to good use under a car.

IMG_1627.jpg

then you could use any kit you wanted to 4 link it.of course that is under a brat, but you can see size comparison kinda.

just sayin.maybe just pull some frame horns off, and mpount up a ea82 body....

cheers, b

it seems that putting a gl body on a yota frame would be the easiest route BUT then its only half subaru.. w/e

id really like to make my own frame and mount some lockable axles..

a tough 3 link is looking more like the way to go.

if anyone has pics of ideas or projects they have done please post

thanks for the input and pic brian

^ If you can use a pre built frame and modify it to fit your saving yourself tons and tons of work. If it's a home made frame or a cut up ? frame it's still not subaru anyway not to mention the non sub axels.:lol:

Ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

I would skip the subie purist issue, build it the way you want, using any part that will work good, and not break.

it seems that putting a gl body on a yota frame would be the easiest route BUT then its only half subaru.. w/e

id really like to make my own frame and mount some lockable axles..

a tough 3 link is looking more like the way to go.

if anyone has pics of ideas or projects they have done please post

thanks for the input and pic brian

whether you make your own frame or use a "pre-built" one, it's still not subaru...

any modified trail/rock rig you look at isn't going to be 100% of anything...

my Brat uses a subframe welded/integrated into the soob frame rails, so I could get the lowest possible center of gravity...

here's my build thread...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92202

if your gonna go solid axles build a subframe for everything to mount to.If you just stick car on 4x4 frame,it is just a 4x4 with a car bodykit.

IE

subaru on toyota frame=toyota with subaru bodykit.

thats how i feel.. im buying a gl tomorrow.......... idk what mods are going on it

if your gonna go solid axles build a subframe for everything to mount to.If you just stick car on 4x4 frame,it is just a 4x4 with a car bodykit.

IE

subaru on toyota frame=toyota with subaru bodykit.

Yes and no. If you left the 4x4 stock and ran the toy/whatever motor and trans then yes.

If you have custom 4 links, custom steering, subie motor/whatever trans/xfer case then I disagree.

It's an off road rig at that point. Built with the best parts you can come up with and still stay sorta subaru.

By using a prebuilt frame from another vehicle that you can modify to fit a gl your saving a lot of work. Bet on that.

it's all in the eye of the beholder...

a guy in my local club has an old FJ40... well, it started as one... it still has the FJ grill. that's about it...

my friend Chris has a Jeep. Chevy TBI 305. GM TRans. 1 ton axles. but still hs TJ suspension and body...

normally, i will be called whatver it looks like... (body). I still have an EA81 and a 5 spd/DR, but even if I swap ot to a non soob engine and trans, I'll still consider it a Subaru....

normally, i will be called whatver it looks like... (body). I still have an EA81 and a 5 spd/DR, but even if I swap ot to a non soob engine and trans, I'll still consider it a Subaru....

+1

That's the way I look at it, because even tho it might be on a frame from a completely different vehicle, there's still the work of making everything inside the body work (steering, wiring, etc.)