Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about my new 85 Brat

Hy Guys,

I am the proud owner of a 1985 Brat, all original with auto tranny and a/c.

Photos soon!

I have a couple questions. The truck runs great, BUT~

1.) When I start it on a cold morning, there is no fast idle. Even thou I fully depress the accelerator prior to starting. Everything under the hood, including linkages looks to be intact and totally stock.

2.) The tranny shifts great except that from a dead stop, upon acceleration, it shifts into 2nd gear at 10mph, reguardless of throttle position! Is there an adjustment in the linkage somewhere to get the tranny to stay in 2nd gear just a little longer??

3.) The only rust on the vehicle is a totally rusted out rocker panel under the passenger door. Can I buy a rocker panel somewhere, or does it need to be fabricated?

4.) There interior dome light is about as bright as a match!

Anyone ungraded the interior light? Any suggestions??

I also, need medication for my new affliction, I have owned 9 Subarus over the years, but this is my first Brat, and I am already planning to purchase another one!:banana:

Thanks for ALL suggestions!

Tony P

Unionville, NC

1 & 2. May find answers here. http://www.suberdave.com/USMB/HTKYSA.PDF

3. No direct replacement rocker is available for the BRATs.

Have read on here that one from another model can be "made to fit". That's one I have yet to try, but am in serious need of doing, to both of mine...

4. http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/USRM/domelight/domelight.htm

There is no cure for the affliction. :grin:

My Wife surely wishes there was one though. I currently own 2, and have owned 3 others in the past 9 or so years.

I am so wanting MORE!!!!

Gloyale,

Thanks for the reply.

So, where do I get a choke spring??

tony p

Just open up the choke housing (might have to drill out hte rivets, replace with screws)

Bend a new hook onto the end of the spring. You'll have to reclock the housing when you reinstall it. (knock off the small tab on the inner ring of the housing, or you can't rotate it)