Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Impr OBW Oil Leak: Guess what I found on back of engine?

Time for "show and tell" now that my engine is pulled and the torque plate removed. (Car has about 155k miles, EJ22 engine.)

Prime suspect: Plastic Oil Separator Plate - Guilty! (Notice that the rear main seal itself is dry as a bone. The tiny bit of seepage is from the crankcase join seam. The collective wisdom I received here was right on!

DSC01349.jpg

Supporting role: Passenger Side Rear Cam Cap:

DSC01351.jpg

I REALLY appreciate the great advice I got here.

Now to do a bunch of cleaning and sealing. Fortunately I don't need this car for daily use right now, so I can take the time to do it carefully.

Bry

Subaru actually makes an update kit for this. It is a metal separator plate and allen head bolts. Can't remember the cost but I think it was around 20-30 bucks. I have done them in the past... on the plastic plates. If there metal I just re-seal them.

Subaru actually makes an update kit for this. It is a metal separator plate and allen head bolts. Can't remember the cost but I think it was around 20-30 bucks. I have done them in the past... on the plastic plates. If there metal I just re-seal them.

Yup - already got the new parts and the anaerobic sealant. But I'm gonna do the cleanup before I pull the old plate.

• 1 year later...

I was going to point out this old thread of mine to someone asking about an oil leak, and noticed I hadn't added my "after" picture here. So here it is all cleaned up with the new steel oil separator plate:

DSC01354.jpg

And the car no longer drips anything! :D

I hope you replaced the o-ring under the wrist pin cover too. I've replaced three of those in the past 6 months. All of them were as brittle as plastic and leaking. It's only another $1.50 or something like that and easy to replace while the engine is out.

What is the purpose of this plate? Is it covering an access hole for something? Sorry if that is a dumb question

The separator plate is part of the PCV system. It has baffles that catch oil vapor so it drains back into the oil pan rather than all of it getting sucked into the intake and sludging everything up.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I hope you replaced the o-ring under the wrist pin cover too. I've replaced three of those in the past 6 months. All of them were as brittle as plastic and leaking. It's only another $1.50 or something like that and easy to replace while the engine is out.

Wow! Nice clean job! What was the choice of poison that worked so well?

I use "the Right Stuff" brand sealant on both.

I don't even bother with an O-ring on the small wrist pin cap......just a nice bead of Right Stuff.