Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Gen legacy lifts- Please weigh in

hello- some of you may remember me looking for saggy butt spacers for my 91 legacy, there are none as most of you know.

it was either a full blown 4 inch lift like SJR sells, or re drill your towers in the rear to accept other legacy struts.

Well -im working on a solution that will satisfy the others that are simply looking for a little ummpphh for larger tires, a little extra ground clearance, etc.

ive contacted a local machinist-and we are making strut top spacers for the first gen legacys

what i want from yall is- what sizes are most appealing for you?

i plan on offering a few sizes

the first run will be 7/8 inch spacers, and longer studs-for the front and rear. this will lift all 4 corners

material is 6061 t-6 aircraft grade structural alluminum

i was thinking maybe a 1/2 size, and a 3/4 as well.

what does everyone think?

when i get the first run i will post up pics and install on my 91 :D

please let me know what size you would be interested in, and what you think a fair price for 4 spacers and a set of hardeware is

With all the non-outback subarus running around with outback struts in them, and not having allignment or axle problems, I'd say make the spacer the same height as the outback subframe drop blocks.

That way, you can run outback struts, with the factory subframe spacers installed, and then add your strut cap spacers in to get the extra clearance you have on a non-subframe spacer-ed car with outback struts.

it was either a full blown 4 inch lift like SJR sells, or re drill your towers in the rear to accept other legacy struts.

No need to re-drill if you swap the top hats from your old struts.

There are spring options for a little extra lift. Pretty sure the Forester springs were a bit taller than Legacy. I've read of a few combinations of different struts and springs from the Outback and Forester that give the best lift on stock / junkyard parts. There are a few companies out there that make lift springs as well, but they're $$$.

Spacers might be a winner for the right price.

If the price is right and they are at least 1" I would by them for my Leggy. Sorry, but 1/2"- 7/8" is not enough to justify my purchase. I suppose 150 + shipping would be about right. Would be a nice combo to go with taller struts. Keep me updated. If you are really going to pull it off, I'm down.

Edited by LegacyBrad

I think this is one great idea! And I agree with Buick350 on the stackable thing, that would be cool and easy for adding more lift down the road.

I have Outback struts with Forester springs, it would be cool to lift it even more with this.

I am all for it, as if you couldn't tell :)

-Tom

outback struts fit on legos with out steering, alignment, or axle problems. and outbacks have body lift blocks on them that the legos don't have (95 - 99 at least). so you could lift outbacks ~2'' to ~2.3"(?) or so before you run into trouble. likewise, you could do all the same stuff to a lego, OB struts and blocks, and strut top lifts, gaining 4'' or more.

are the outback body lift blocks 2 inches, has any one ever measured them?