Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alright i have an 03 baja with the 2.5 non-turbo, 5 SPD i think she is boasting somewhere in 170 hp range factory tuned.

the mods i have done to it as of now are: chopped out the airbox, so the air filter is exposed on top of the throttle body. I chopped the factory exhaust right behind the cat, and have a 2.5 inch cherry bomb, and 2.5 inch exhaust that dumps in front of the passenger back tire.

my goal is to build it up to make power, leaving the exterior of the vehicle completely stock so it's a sleeper. I want to start off with a factory turbo set up and build from there, meaning turbo engine, harness, and turbo ECU.

My question is this. Do I use an EJ2.2T with harness and ECU, or use EJ2.5T harness and ECU? I don't want to just turbo my factory set up and only run like 6-8PSI, so that is why i am looking for a FACTORY TURBO set-up to build on.

I have also heard of ppl using the EJ2.2T with the EJ2.0G heads.

If the best route to go is using my block I can always get some boost friendly pistons.

Money is not gonna be much of an issue since this build is gonna take some time anyways, (getting parts ones and twos at a time) it's not something i can start doing this weekend or anything, but i want to start getting some parts around and want to weigh the best options before i start making purchases. I plan on buying a turbo ECU, and Harness here in the near future. Thanks guys

I would suggest the EJ255 from a: 06+ WRX, 04+ FXT, 03+ Leggie Turbo, or turbo Baja. 2.5 liters, factory turbo, costs less than the EJ257 STi engine, but nearly as good. Yes you'll need the turbo crossmember for the front. An OEM ECU with a tune would be nice. Don't forget the cooling system to go with it.

Or you could just find a turbo Baja and sell your ride and not worry about the trouble of doing what the factory already did.:eek:

Factory turbo Baja will be cheaper and more reliable than anything you do to your current car. Period. Over. /thread

BTW, cutting holes in your air box has probably cost you power as they come stock with a cold air intake and you are now pulling air from behind the radiator and on top of the engine.

BTW, cutting holes in your air box has probably cost you power as they come stock with a cold air intake and you are now pulling air from behind the radiator and on top of the engine.

i originally did the exhaust first, and once i did that, anything over half throttle causing a mean ole whistling sound, come to find out that once i did the exhaust the engine wanted more air, but couldn't get it with the factory restrictions in all that intake piping, but since doing the air box mod, she no longer whistles at any throttle, and seems to be more responsive, even if it is warmer air:-\ i will post a pic.

i would like to keep it obdII but i am shooting for between 320-380WHP, and that is why the 2.2 sounds so good, being the "bulletproof engine" and all.

when you get a turbo Baja, just swap the 2 hoods before you get rid of the non turbo that way you rock the non scooped hood.

you will then likely want to make your own hidden ductwork to flow some cool air to over the turbo. The scoop hood does that but for sleeper look, you will figure it out.

good luck.

thanks for all the info guys. I have decided to go with an EJ2.2T bottom end, and then i will just use the top end of a 2.5 turbo. this combination, with an EJ2.5 SOHC head gasket will get me right at the 7.7:1 compression ratio. with the 2.5 heads and intake i can keep it OBD2, but still have that bulletproof engine.

The first thing to do is get the engine, and then i want to yak the pistons and rods, split the block, and put it back together with aftermarket rods and pistons. I figure my brother has an 04 STI and he is somewhere in the 470HP range at the crank, i think he said it's good for just under 400 at the wheels. anyways i figure he has factory internals, and is sitting at 20psi with 8.8:1

with the right tune and 7.7:1 and the aftermarket rods and pistons, there is no reason i can't be in the 27PSI range.

All the research i been doing on other forums, there is a person who is posting, that from his experience, anything at or more than 27PSI will bend and break factory rods on the 2.2's

Like i said, it's gonna be a long slow process, but i will post up pics of the build as it slowly comes along.

The next question is to find out the difference in flow between SOHC, and DOHC 2.5 heads. thanks again guys

There is a lot of research you should do before you jump into a 2.2T block. They are only popular because they are cheaper than the 2.5 turbo blocks.

Take a step back and don't rush in, you won't be able to get the 2.2T block and 2.5T management without a lot of work, seriously, a lot of us have been there, don't spend 20k to find out that you could have spent a 3-5k price difference on a turbo Baja and come out ahead.

It's your project, so I won't tell you how to do it, but those that have been down that road will agree, just get the factory turbo car and mod that instead.

• 2 weeks later...