Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easy way to remove a lot of trans fluid without dropping the pan

This guy has a good idea. You can remove a lot of trans fluid this way without every dropping the pan.

My question is will it pull it out of the torque converter also? He says to replace 2qt every time you do an oil change. Seems reasonable.

another option is to have two contains and two long pieces of ATF hose...i'm sure you probably know that though? fill one bucket with clean fluid, run the proper ATF line to it - then leave the other empty for the pressure side. crank car over and shut it off when clean fluid comes out.

it's not easy to set up, but not hard either. once you got the hose length and/or an adapter set up to plug into the existing lines it's really simple though and repeatable.

The drain plugs work well on Subarus, I dont know why ever car dont have drain plugs. Also Walmart sells a pump device that works somewhat like this. It has two long tubes like his with a suction pump device in the middle. It works great if you overfill a little without having to remove drain plug again.

Car repair shops have large versions of that device, been in use for years, if you really wanted to get creative you could use the vacuum from the cars engine as suction so you don't have to do the pumping yourself.

Just make sure you don't suck any fluid into the engine.

They are also great for rear axles on cars that don't have drain plugs, pretty much anything that needs to be drained on a car.

This guy has a good idea. You can remove a lot of trans fluid this way without every dropping the pan.

My question is will it pull it out of the torque converter also? He says to replace 2qt every time you do an oil change. Seems reasonable.

No, I think the ATF is being pumped out of the trany only, hose would not enter torque converter.