Ultimate Subaru Message Board

service manuals new subarus

When I bought my 2008 Outback was disappointed to learn that manufacturers no longer allow owners to buy "factory" service manuals (I'm 56 yrs . old so I lived a long time in the good ol' days...). Car is great and at 40K all I do is oil change, filters, plugs, etc. But when I get due for timing belts etc. am I at mercy of dealer or are there aftermarket (or black market?!) options?

You can pay a subscription fee to Subaru and get access to their digital service information. This is cheaper than buying the manuals, you can print stuff off if you really want, etc.

This system is much better - Subaru can control the content and update the information as needed, there is no printing mistakes, no cost involved in printing, shipping, or warehousing these documents.

It's a better system all around.

GD

You can pay a subscription fee to Subaru and get access to their digital service information. This is cheaper than buying the manuals, you can print stuff off if you really want, etc.

This system is much better - Subaru can control the content and update the information as needed, there is no printing mistakes, no cost involved in printing, shipping, or warehousing these documents.

It's a better system all around.

GD

I am surprised why you guys help promote this site. Subaru made plenty of money on us. When my time comes and I have to pay them I will definitely post everything here.

Sam

no one directly answered his question/comment - the factory service manuals are available, right? i own like 20 FSM's, including some 2000+ FSM's, i'm not sure where he would have heard that they aren't available? did he just mean in print or did they change something recently?

2008 EJ25 isn't really a big deal, it's probably nearly identical to most other EJ25 timing belts and you can find out all you need to know here...or just get the FSM.

timing belts are easy - line up the sprockets properly and install the belt.

Edited by grossgary

I am surprised why you guys help promote this site. Subaru made plenty of money on us. When my time comes and I have to pay them I will definitely post everything here.

Sam

Why not promote it? It's a great deal for a great product. You pay like $40 for a 72 hour pass - you can download all you like in PDF form and keep it. That's cheaper than buying the paper format FSM's and you can just print them and keep them in a 3 ring binder - then when the pages are greasy and oily and messed up - you just print another one!

This is 100% a positive thing for us. FSM's in paper form cost hundreds of dollars. How is $37.99 for all-you-can-eat a bad deal?

GD