Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone,

I have been struck with the inevitable, dreaded "Head gasket Leak". I have a 2001 Subaru Forester with 324000kms (201324 miles), have an external head gasket leak, top up coolant about once a week (usually between full and low when topping up). Also leaking oil seem to need a quart or so between oil changes. Can anyone give any insight on how much time I might have before my poor car succumbs to all its aliments? I do about 3000kms/month (1864miles), I do not think at this point fixing it is a viable option, It has the head gasket leak, a transmission oil leak from the seal between the engine and the tranny,a transmission pan leak, and the rack is leaking power steering fluid.

Thanks for your input in advance!

Hi everyone,

I have been struck with the inevitable, dreaded "Head gasket Leak". I have a 2001 Subaru Forester with 324000kms (201324 miles), have an external head gasket leak, top up coolant about once a week (usually between full and low when topping up). Also leaking oil seem to need a quart or so between oil changes. Can anyone give any insight on how much time I might have before my poor car succumbs to all its aliments? I do about 3000kms/month (1864miles)

If you are looking for it to die - it probably won't as long as you keep the fluids topped off. Add two bottles of the Subaru coolant "conditioner" - that will stop the coolant weeping on the head gasket. Replacement of the head gasket is not that big of a deal - it will run like it is as long as you keep it full of fluids and likely never have any issues. Those leaks are external and not into a combustion chamber, or mixing fluids, etc.

, I do not think at this point fixing it is a viable option, It has the head gasket leak, a transmission oil leak from the seal between the engine and the tranny,a transmission pan leak,

Sounds like you have an automatic. Would be a simple thing to pull the engine, replace the head gaskets and at the same time fix the transmission leaks. How do you know it's leaking from the transmission between the engine and tranny? That would have to be front differential gear oil and those rarely leak. Very uncommon. If it's ATF you are seeing then it's much more likely the PS pump.

and the rack is leaking power steering fluid.

Are you sure this isn't the pump? They leak and it looks like it's comming from EVERYWHERE. You can reseal them pretty easily.

Thanks for your input in advance!

Sounds like it needs a few maintenance items but 201k isn't the end of the line for an EJ251. Fix a few odds and ends and it will easily go another 100k. None of that stuff is expensive if you do it yourself.

GD

Yes it is an automatic, had to replace the transmission in it about 2 years ago, at some point before I owned the car while getting a tranny service done someone must have broke a dipstick off in the transmission, I got a hole in the filter and when it got low on fluid the stick got caught in something. There was a bearing gone in it.

I do not really know much about cars, I have been told by one mechanic that the oil leak is from the head and another that it is from the head and the seal between the engine and the transmission (that the seal is cracked).

A couple oil changes ago I was told the rack is leaking, although I filled the power steering about 5 months ago because it was very low and since I have not had to fill it again...

I also seem to get a loud banging noise if I am taking a corner in snowy conditions once the car recovers from sliding...You can feel a slight loss of traction and then when it re-gains control "BANG", like a low thunk noise from the back end...it is a little jarring sounds like something is going to break.

thanks for the advise on the conditioner I will pick up a couple bottles Monday, and see how it goes...do I just add it to the coolant reservoir, or actually into the Rad?

Yes it is an automatic, had to replace the transmission in it about 2 years ago, at some point before I owned the car while getting a tranny service done someone must have broke a dipstick off in the transmission, I got a hole in the filter and when it got low on fluid the stick got caught in something. There was a bearing gone in it.

Yikes! That's an unfortunate event. The 4EAT automatic's are known for their reliability. I have a '99 Forester with 245k on it and other than the head gasket leak (just like your's) it's doing quite well.

I do not really know much about cars, I have been told by one mechanic that the oil leak is from the head and another that it is from the head and the seal between the engine and the transmission (that the seal is cracked).

He probably means the rear main seal - that is unlikely. It is most likely the driver's side head gasket that is leaking oil. This is very common and not really a cause for concern if you can manage it by adding some now and then.

A couple oil changes ago I was told the rack is leaking, although I filled the power steering about 5 months ago because it was very low and since I have not had to fill it again...

If you haven't had to add any in 5 months - the leak is not bad enough to concern yourself with. Just forget about that one. Subaru rack's are tough and almost never fail. The pump's on the other hand tend to leak and sometimes leak quite a lot. They can be rebuilt/resealed very inexpensively.

I also seem to get a loud banging noise if I am taking a corner in snowy conditions once the car recovers from sliding...You can feel a slight loss of traction and then when it re-gains control "BANG", like a low thunk noise from the back end...it is a little jarring sounds like something is going to break.

That's a strange one - I really don't have much advice there other than "if it hurts when you do that.... don't do it!" It's probably something suspension related. Could just be bad struts in the back. Rear strut failures on newer gen Subaru's are not uncommon.

thanks for the advise on the conditioner I will pick up a couple bottles Monday, and see how it goes...do I just add it to the coolant reservoir, or actually into the Rad?

You put the conditioner (two bottles of it - they are small) directly into the radiator. Drain some coolant first if you have to.

And for the rest of the car's life you need to add one or two bottles of the conditioner EVERY time the coolant is changed. It's only $1.50 per bottle. It is a special formulation and specific quantity of Subaru approved "stop leak" and it WILL stop the coolant leaking from your head gaskets. This should seal up the cooling system so you won't have to top it off all the time. My Forester was losing so much it had to be topped up every few days - after the stop leak additive I haven't added a drop in 9 month including driving over 1000 miles for christmas...

GD

All the above is good advise.

Personally I'd get it all done at one time by an Independent Subaru shop and you'll be good for a very long time.

IF the PS rack is leaking I've had excellent results with Lucas Power Steering goo. Excellent experience in general and specifically on Subaru's.

If this is an "S" model you are most likely hearing the limited slip differential working. I can make my 01 Outback Ltd do the same thing since new. A good amount of spin to the rear wheels and it clunks in pretty hard. Not really anything to worry about. Under normal conditions it functions fine, just when there is rear slippage is when I notice it, but I have to be driving a little aggressively to make it happen.

Yes - put in two bottles of conditioner. follow the directions and shake it really good first or it comes out improperly.

See how that goes and get back to us, we can likely guide you fixing or getting by on the remaining issues too.

In general these seeping head gaskets can last a really long time, like 100,000 miles if you don't run it low on oil or coolant. Just keep adding it.

The oil leaks are very likely to be like valve covers or front seals - like cam or crank. Valve covers are really easy and cheap to replace. But i'd see how the Subaru additive does first. It won't slow the oil leaks, but if the coolant leaks subside some it might be worth entertaining a few other items to get you another year or so and a lot more miles out of it.

Thats a possibility with the lsd, but it sounds more like he awd delaying engagement. It is pretty high mileage. What tranny shop did you take the car to? Also where abouts in ontario are you?

I took it to a Subaru mechanic in Cambridge, just a little family run business. I live in Brantford.

Just took my car to my mechanic in Brantford yesterday, and something new I now have the alternator going in my car is it making some horrible noises, it is going in tomorrow to be replaced...Any ideas how long it takes to doan alternator? It is a L model 2.5L engine (if that makes a difference).

If this is an "S" model you are most likely hearing the limited slip differential working. I can make my 01 Outback Ltd do the same thing since new. A good amount of spin to the rear wheels and it clunks in pretty hard. Not really anything to worry about. Under normal conditions it functions fine, just when there is rear slippage is when I notice it, but I have to be driving a little aggressively to make it happen.

It is the L model, seems to do it just when I am sliding on ice/snow as it re-gains control. Was just worried because when my transmission was going before, it would make he same thunking noise when I accelorated hard.

I took it to a Subaru mechanic in Cambridge, just a little family run business. I live in Brantford.

Just took my car to my mechanic in Brantford yesterday, and something new I now have the alternator going in my car is it making some horrible noises, it is going in tomorrow to be replaced...Any ideas how long it takes to doan alternator? It is a L model 2.5L engine (if that makes a difference).

A few weeks back I thought my alternator was dying. Squealing was really loud. Turned out a light spray of belt dressing on the belts silenced the noise!