Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans drain and fill with hd is good!

06 impreza wagon 4eat 73000KM

Recently did a drain and fill with dextron 3 ( accident ). 1 generic filter

2 drain and fills with subaru hd fluid. 1 Subaru filter

Each drain and fill was separated by about a 150 km drive.

The car is way smoother now! Limo like around town!

We both feel it is driving like a new car!

So even though I didn't know it could get any better, it did!

Do a drain and fill 3.5 litres! ( 4 litres with filter ).

Subaru dosent even recommend a filter change. ( I did one )

Do it! you will thank me!

Remember Subaru HD fluid mid 05 onwards.

I have a car at 60k and I am wondering if I should have a drain and flush rather than just diluting the dirty fluid . Can a garage do it or only a dealer?

There are many good ATFs should I only use subaru( car is out of warranty at 60k). How about these 15$ a quart ones like royal purple?:popcorn:

a plus to draining is anything in the pan or on the magnetic drain plug can actually come out with it. those can't happen with a flush...though there's no reason to think those are "necessary" either. so sort of a choice really.

i've switched to expensive synthetics before and while i think they're great and will continue to use them from time to time in my daily drivers because of their reputation, i've never noticed a difference on something that was previously working just fine.

the original fluids the thing was designed to use are quite good too, particularly when changed appropriately which it sounds like you're considering doing - so i think either is a good call, the actual changing it part is what's most important though.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a car at 60k and I am wondering if I should have a drain and flush rather than just diluting the dirty fluid . Can a garage do it or only a dealer?

There are many good ATFs should I only use subaru( car is out of warranty at 60k). How about these 15$ a quart ones like royal purple?:popcorn:

Subaru tells service techs not to even change the filter ( it is already protected by an internal screen ).

At your 72,000 KM just do a drain and fill that's it.

3.5 litres without and 4 litres with filter.

Do it and be happy!

Ironically I ended up doing a rinse with Dex III followed by two replenishments with Subaru HD. As a cocktail by my own anecdotal (accidental) results I might recommend it ( certainly 24 hrs and 150 KM highway with dex 3 didn't hurt ) .

Who knows could be the ultimate cheap rinse.

I will clearly state that the 4eat in my car has never worked better, and this includes when it was new.

Yet again mine is a 06 and HD is recommend mid 05 onwards.

I would hazard a guess that many subaru's are driving around without HD or J type fluids in their trany.

HD fluids remain with a 7 viscosity at 100 degrees as do J series fluids who marginally exceed that.

Not sure what other similarities or differences there are but I do know that regular DEXIII will blend completely.

Edited by subaruplatt