Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ratchet straps: Ultimate Soob Recovery tool...

mcbrat

Looking at Jeff's wheeling pics got me thinking...

how have you used a ratchet strap on a soob in a recovery/reapir situation...

1. Used to hold front strut to the strut mount/lift block, after the strut mount tore out, and strut fell forward and lodged in the front fender, rendering the steering useless.

2. used to hold rear swing arm in line so it didn't flare out causing toe and camber issues.

3. Jeff's: hold broken front control arm assembly in place.... preventing same issues from #2

used astrap to hold my y pipe to the engine when studs came out and the oil corridor was compromised.with a sock in betweenxt them.man was that a good fire by the time i got home...oil soaked nylon wrapping and a cotton sock.from north spokane.thata was a crazy ride home in the middle of summertime afternoon traffic......LOL....

Edited by monstaru

I used a 3" nylon ratchet strap to pull a subi up onto a tilting flatbed trailer. I didn't have a come-along handy. I got it just almost to that point at which the trailer wanted to level out but, I couldn't "ratchet" anymore. So, of course, I got a good grip on the strap with both hands and pulled sideways as Hard as I could. Then the strap broke.

When I woke up, flat on my back, looking at the pretty blue sky, I wondered very much where the subi might have gone. Luckily, it came to rest against a curb about 50 feet away. Now, I use my ratchet straps to secure loose items in place. Thats pretty much it.

I once upon a time had a misadventure with a tow dolly. I stupidly was continuing up a "shortcut" road that rapidly narrowed, turned to dirt, and uphill.... while, of course, it was raining.

So, smart me, I tried to do a u-turn at a driveway... jackknifed the tow-dolly and managed to get the towed car to come partially off the dolly. :o

First order of business was to get the car back on the dolly, so I hooked 3 ratchet straps together so that I could reach the nearest sturdy-looking tree, and slowly ratcheted the car back into the wheel pans of the dolly (with the help of a floor jack.) After the car was secured, able to use the straps to "fix" my jackknife.

There was another 2 hours of stupid choices before I was pointed back to safety, but the straps were just observers for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I popped apart a ball joint and bent a strut rod one time.

One strap went from the control arm to the spring to hold the control arm to the knuckle. (Ball joint would no longer stay up in the knuckle on its own.)

Another strap went from the control arm to the front tow point to keep the whole assembly forward.