Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core hoses?

those are alongside the firewall, kinda back by the starter.

Sorry bud, you have joined the "HG Club".

You most likely have classic headgasket failure.

You should first check make sure the fans are connected, and they turn fine.

You could try to replace the radiator cap with a new one.

Add coolant to the correct level on the overflow tank. Make sure the radiator had been burped well.

When the car is running, do you see bubbles in the overflow tank?

Edited by bheinen74
added more info help

dear bheinen74, the fans are connected and seem to turn fine I will do the voltage test on the fans later but from what I see they are fine and the blades are not broken. I have not checked the radiator cap. The things I have checked and the symptoms are listed below. I have not checked for bubbles in the overflow tank but i searched on youtube how to burp but i do not believe that is the problem.

dear suzam, to be more specific on my overheating problem. When I drive for 10-15minutes everything is fine and heat begins to work correctly. Then at 20-30 minutes the overheating begins. I pulled over at about 45minutes and popped the hood. I found light steam coming from the right fan or radiator or overflow tank (I am not sure where it is coming from.)

The things I have done to correct and troubleshoot the overheating are the following. I installed a new water pump, thermostat, radiator, engine coolant temperature sensor, i checked all the relays and fuses.

Prior to doing these repairs, my father allowed a mechanic to cut a hole thru the thermostat, the heat actually worked but the car still overheated. The overheating would happen when the heat was off and turning the heat on lowered the temperature reading back to normal.

The heat hoses I am looking for are discussed in my repair book but not illustrated. I was wondering if the hoses were possibly on the picture I posted. The heat hoses are said to carry heat to the heater core and are located at the firewall.

Thanks for your help everyone and to the last guy, I will check that link out I appreciate all your help everyone.

You probably have a blown head gasket. However, you may want to have the coolant checked for exhaust gases before you undertake an extensive repair. You have a 2.5L Phase 1 DOHC engine, which is known for internally blown head gaskets. There is a huge amount of information on blown 2.5L Phase 1 head gaskets on this board. Diligent use of the "search" function will tell you everything you need to know. Although you are most welcome to post any additional questions that you may have.