Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Car Tax" is probably the most hated tax in SC. You have to pay automobile property every year, or part of a year, that you own the car.

The car can be unregistered, without wheels, and up on concrete blocks in the backyard. South Carolina does not care, you own it, you pay property tax on it.

If you miss paying a year, taxes, penalty and interest will eat you alive.

The only way to avoid paying the tax is to scrap the car (scrap yard receipt is required) or sell it.

"Car Tax" is probably the most hated tax in SC. You have to pay automobile property every year, or part of a year, that you own the car.

The car can be unregistered, without wheels, and up on concrete blocks in the backyard. South Carolina does not care, you own it, you pay property tax on it.

If you miss paying a year, taxes, penalty and interest will eat you alive.

The only way to avoid paying the tax is to scrap the car (scrap yard receipt is required) or sell it.

KY is the same. Ad Valorem Tax is due Jan 1. If you total your car at 12:01 am on Jan 1st, you still owe all the tax for the year.

• 4 weeks later...
Fees are from previous owners. I haven't actually even driven this car on the road yet and I'm still going to have to give them $700. It'd be funny if I weren't the one paying it.

You guys are making me want to move with how cheap and easy vehicle registration is in other states. :P

California's beyond "in the toilet." I grew up in Santa Barbara and moved out of state at age 21. Glad I did. I mean c'mon... Jerry Brown????????? :eek:

Ouch... Colorado just started doing fees for back registrations, however, they cap them at $100 (four months worth). It sucks for people doing restorations -- in which you might have the vehicle unregistered for several years (you can't register a non-operable vehicle because it won't pass emissions.....). But, still not nearly as bad as CA it appears.