Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a friend that is on this board, but not a lot.

He has a 1995 Subaru Impreza L Sedan.

It has the EJ18 1.8L

Has <150k miles

AWD

5 Speed

Etc etc etc.

Bad thing so far: Tranny seems to grind shifting into 2nd whether going up or down gears... Could be gear oil, or new tranny?

The other thing, is where do we start?

Will obviously do full tune up, like radiator flush, oil change, spark plugs, spark plug wires etc. But should we put a knock sensor on there? Will ask Rick if he will give it a once over and see how it goes, but before going there, we want to do the tuneup and stuff.

Mods:

Car has a block heater (originally a Canadian car)

6K HIDs

fluids plugs and wires, as well as filters. if it leaks oil, most do, seals would be good. and timing belt if it is due, every 60k. it is a non-interference engine so no harm if the belt fails.

i'm not a manual trans guy, but some folks have changed the oil with some special red? stuff. i don't know the stuff but some one will. it may help, can't hurt. but you may find you can drive carefully and reduce the ''grind''.

Edited by johnceggleston

timing belt if it is due, every 60k. it is a non-interference engine so no harm if the belt fails.

Really 60K timing belt interval on a 95 EJ18? No problem on mine at this point even if 60K is right, cuz mine has 23k on its T.B., but I thought that era EJ's were 100k T.B. interval.

EJ belts are 60k till around '97 when California models went to 105k. But the rest of the country stayed 60k till I think around '99 or so when they all went to 105k.

If you have a phase-I engine (90 to 99 except 99 Impreza/Forester) then chances are it's a 60k interval belt.

GD

Aren't the new belts and timing components rated for 105 though?

Well, the good thing about it is... The interval doesn't matter so much because doing a timing belt/water pump on a SOHC Subaru boxer (at least that era) is SIGNIFICANTLY less brain damage than doing one on my "Brand H" Accords from the same era. Probably about 1/3 or 2/5 as much work.

The one thing that does peeve me about getting into the T.B. chamber on a Subaru boxer is the stupid "cast into the plastic" captive nuts in the passenger-side plastic back cover that always seem to be seized up so they rotate and shatter the plastic when I try to loosen the bolts. (Yes, I tried penetrating oil.) Fortunately that should be a one-time problem per car, since I use anti-seize on the bolts when I tighten them into the new captive nuts on the new back cover I install.