Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which tensioner? Do water pump?

My son's 97 2.2 wagon is due for a timing belt change. Does anyone know which tensioner the 97 came with? If it is the old style, is the tensioner idler pulley the same as the new style?

We will only have a few hours to do the job, and don't want to leave it open waiting for the right part to arrive.

While I am at it, the records show the water pump changed last time @103k miles- now has 177K. I don't mind spending the extra for a pump, but I have not had good luck with the pump bolts. Last one I did on a 2000 Impreza, 5 of the bolts pulled out before I got 9 pounds of torque on them and had to helicoil them. If the pump idler is good and the pump not leaking, should it last another 60K?

I believe it'll be old style.

The idler's differ for old style and new style.

In this case may be worth a call to the dealer to ask with the vin. You can innocently ask if it's the one piece (new style) or two piece(old style) tensioner. Like most I feel the old style is sturdier and more likely to last and more likely to last through the compression before install especially for folks not used to doing the compression.

Thw WP bolts I've never had an issue with. I'd suspect someone had already compromised the block on the one you had problems with.

I usually do WP's every TB change. But that's not many miles. Tough call.

Looking at the kits online, I cannot tell which tension idler it is in any of the kits. Anyone have a photo of the old style tension idler?

The build date on this car is 12/96, so it should be the old one.

The old style tensioner idler looks a lot like all the other idlers - seriousely. It just has a tab on the back that the "pencil" style tensioner pushes against so it does have a center section to it. The idler for the newer style in essence has no center to it.

'98 was when they switched tensioner styles.

If it's just a little leakage like that - compress it and if it still feels good just keep using it. They rarely fail.

Just buy a kit for a '96 - fitment is the same for all '90 through '97 EJ22 kits.

Kits for '98+ are (usually) sold with the tensioner because you can't buy the idler that's on it seperately.

GD

Looking at the kits online, I cannot tell which tension idler it is in any of the kits. Anyone have a photo of the old style tension idler?

The build date on this car is 12/96, so it should be the old one.

I have a brand-new OEM idler for the 2.2 engine and I think it's the right part for your car. You'll need to verify that. The pictures and part # are in this post - http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118114

Please note this is just the idler, not including the hydraulic tensioner.

you should be able to remove the driver side cam cover and see enough to id which you have. but as said it should be the old style.

i'd replace everything and then drive on, especially if time is an isse. if you have to redo it it will really cost you time. the kit with water pump is about 200$ from "theimportexperts'' on ebay.

I have a brand-new OEM idler for the 2.2 engine and I think it's the right part for your car. You'll need to verify that. The pictures and part # are in this post - http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118114

Please note this is just the idler, not including the hydraulic tensioner.

Thanks for the offer. I am going to replace everything and it is not economical for me to order a kit without that idler. I already have a belt.