Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I put a 95 2.2 dual port exhaust engine in a 98 Legacy L wagon that had a 2.2 single port exhaust engine in it. Started the engine and it ran perfect for about 15 min. and then the check engine light came on and the passenger side of the engine started making a lifter noise. If you raise the rpm's the noise goes away and even at regulart idle the engine runs real smooth. The 2 codes came up po122 throttle position sensor a low input and po106 manifold absolute pressure. So i was wondering if i need to change the computer as well because something is different. Any help would be great.

Steve

Check vacuum lines.

That's about all I've got. I've been known to miss a vacuum line when installing an engine and I usually get a MAP code for it.

Also check the ground wiring.

I've missed a ground as well and had all kinds of sensor codes from it.

It seems to me like the lifter noise is unrelated but someone with more knowledge of the 2.2 will chime in and help you out there.

I'd start with checking wiring and vacuum lines and go from there. My money's on that.

i think the 106 is related to the small vac lines that go to the passenger strut tower / fender wall . check there first.

how long had the engine been sitting before installed it.

and i'd let it idle. maybe add a little engine cleaner, MMO or ATF and let it idle. if it doesn't quiet down after a while you may need to remove the HLAs and bleed them. but i've done 2 swaps with HLAs. one was so loud i thought it had a rod knock. and idling always brought them back to quiet smooth running.

if you add something to the oil, change your oil sooner rather than later, 1k?. you don't want to go 3k miles with that stuff in your engine.

IIR that MAP code is about the lines going to the little gizmo by the pass strut tower as already pointed out.

Sometimes I'd get them reversed(sometimes someone would be here and "help"). Or if one is off, or I beleive if you somehow didn't install that filter/diaphram/whatever abotu the size of a quarter in one of those lines.

Did you do any work to the engine before installation? Timing belt, water pump, oil pump reseal?

Did you put new oil in the engine? What kind?

P0106 One of the hoses on the passenger side of the engine isn't in the right place. There are two and they need to be routed to the correct parts or you get that code.

P0122 TPS might need adjustment. Make sure your throttle and cruise control cables are not too tight before adjusting the TPS.

If it's the HLA'a usually MMO followed by a SPIRITED drive of 10-20 miles after it's warmed up solves it.

That's what I'd try first.

MMO is a great product. It was invented at about the same time the car was invented. It has stood the test of time. Like said try MMO first with a spirited drive. Maybe use lower gears to keep rpm up after warm up.

Just add a pint to your crankcase oil (make sure you don't overfill the crankcase) and drive around normally for a few days. Or try davebugs' suggestion, "a SPIRITED drive of 10-20 miles after it's warmed up!"

When you're satisfied that the lifter tick is gone, change your oil and filter.

Good luck.