Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" RX.. uh oh..

i wood toss the rx turbo there junk td04 or td05 is the way to go

Uh, they are not junk. They work fine and I havent heard of any problems with them even after being used for 20+ years. If they leak, its because they are 20+ years old. And they actually spool up faster.

Now, lets hear about all the problems about putting a TD04 on a EA82T........

Edited by Turbone

Uh, they are not junk. They work fine and I havent heard of any problems with them even after being used for 20+ years. If they leak, its because they are 20+ years old. And they actually spool up faster.

Now, lets hear about all the problems about putting a TD04 on a EA82T........

is there any crazy wiring to keep the turbo or just some fab work?

is there any crazy wiring to keep the turbo or just some fab work?

You would probably want to repin the ECU harness from the EJ22 to an EJ22T and get the extra wiring for the boost solenoids, then put the turbo stuff on it and call it a day....

Or something like that. I know the wiring isn't too terrible to make it into a turbo harness.

The stock EJ22T runs about 8.5 psi of boost. You can't safely run more than about 5 psi on the EJ22E (even 5 is good for like 60 HP with the high-comp. bottom end). The VF7 that was on the EA82 isn't really big enough for a "real" turbo on a 2.2 but for a low-pressure application it would probably do alright and it would spool very fast.

You would have to run the EJ22T ECU, modify the harness to work with it and add the boost control system. And then you would need to modify the wastegate diaphram and spring to open at a lower pressure than stock so you could regulate the boost to no more than 5 psi. You would also need 22T injectors, MAF, and any other sensors that are different so as not to confuse the ECU and to insure you have the right amount of fuel.... you might need to do some enrichment beyond what the ECU does under boost to mitigate the potential for pre-det on the high compression 22E..... if you haven't messed with anything that's got a turbo before it might be best if you don't start with trying to design your own first.....

GD

The stock EJ22T runs about 8.5 psi of boost. You can't safely run more than about 5 psi on the EJ22E (even 5 is good for like 60 HP with the high-comp. bottom end). The VF7 that was on the EA82 isn't really big enough for a "real" turbo on a 2.2 but for a low-pressure application it would probably do alright and it would spool very fast.

You would have to run the EJ22T ECU, modify the harness to work with it and add the boost control system. And then you would need to modify the wastegate diaphram and spring to open at a lower pressure than stock so you could regulate the boost to no more than 5 psi. You would also need 22T injectors, MAF, and any other sensors that are different so as not to confuse the ECU and to insure you have the right amount of fuel.... you might need to do some enrichment beyond what the ECU does under boost to mitigate the potential for pre-det on the high compression 22E..... if you haven't messed with anything that's got a turbo before it might be best if you don't start with trying to design your own first.....

GD

Well i only wanted it for low pressure applications, living in montana is fairly high above sea level and a turbo makes up for the altitude... but it sounds a little compicated for me unfortunately... sounded fun though :)

Extra wires never hurt anyone. Is it true that they didnt use the ej22 in japan? I was talking to a guy at foreign engine, and he said they dont import them becuase they were not used in the japanese market. ej20 was the main engine or 2.5

Alrighty then.. i finished removing the wiring harness today, only to hear that i'm the one expected to strip it down.. ************!! i dont know the least bit about how to do this. its strewn about my living room right now, so any tips/pictures/anything people could offer to help me do this PLEASE.:eek:

dscf0127c.jpg

dscf0126rw.jpg

dscf0125g.jpg

dscf0124.jpg

PS- no my living room is NOT a field... thats my dads place lol.

Its not easy stuffing all that wiring into all the nooks and crannies.

I know theres a couple of threads in Retrofitting that explains a lot of the harness stripping.

Well its that or i think i read that you can send the harness to someone numbchux or something, he'll strip it and send it back? I cant make heads or tales of this freakin thing..

Do some searches for EA82T and you will understand. The majority of members here will not own one. We consider it the low-point in Subaru's engine line up.

GD

I will never own another one. It has got to be one of the worst engines that Subaru has ever produced. (just my opinion though)

against what may have been against my best judgement, i started stripping the loom down myself.. the loom is from a 1993 legacy automatic..(will that affect things?) and thats kinda my current question.. there are a lot of wires going between the TCU and the ECU, should i cut those? i have ben hesitant to cut anything attached to the ecu up to this point.. its all over my living room. help.:-\

You can cut anything that goes to the TCU. You will find that most of the wires that go to the TCU actually are not going from it to the ECU but are branches from some of the engine bay sensors, ground circuits, and power circuits.

You will have to solder about 30 wires that cross the "Super Main Junction" or SMJ for short - it's the monster connector that screws together with a 10mm bolt..... that has many of the sheilded sensor com wires as well as some of the power supplies and radiator fan control stuff....

Instead of eliminating "wires" focus on elimnating "connectors". Find one that you know you don't need, cut a single wire from it and then follow that wire to either another connector (cut) or to where it joins another wire at a factory splice (cut). Follow that simple rule and after some tedious hours you will have it mostly under control. Anything remaining at that point you can take pictures of and post here.

The connectors you NEED are the ones for the ECU, fuel pump relay, and ignition main relay... and then anything connected to the engine including the intake, ignitor on the firewall, O2 sensor in the exhaust... etc.

GD