Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Metal Tank radiator for 1995 Legacy 2.2

I may need a new radiator for my Legacy as the upper radiator hose fitting is half broken off (common) from previous owner and some of the cooling fins broke off when sprayed with water from the hose to clean the dirt out of it. So, since over heating can kill an EJ head gasket, I wanted to upgrade to a better radiator, hopefully a 2 row with metal tanks. I found one on partsgeek.com made by CSF, their part number W0133-1654505. It is ment to be used with a 2.5 liter motor (listed under 1996-1997 Legacy only for some reason), will it fit in my '95 with 2.2 without any mods to car or radiator?

I also ran across another radiator from CSF, their part number W0133-1606959, which is for a 1990 to 1994 Legacy. Again, metal tanks, 2 rows. Will this radiator fit in my '95 without any modifications to car or radiator?

As always, thanks for the help.

You can use a radiator for a '96 Legacy GT (2.5) - it will be the all-metal variety that you want. You will also have to swap over to the individual support brackets for the top with the rubber bushings..... probably order them through the dealer. But yes - it will fit without any mods other than changing the top bracket.

GD

Yep, any Radiator from '95 to '99 will work, I think only the 2.5s had the metal sides (Like GD said) just make sure the one you are looking at is for an AT so it has the cooling line dookers. :banana:

Yeah the individual support brackets can be found on that White Outback at Al's auto. Or if you can find a Forester.

Edited by TheLoyale

GD,

Thanks for the info, very helpful as usual.

Tom,

After reading my manual they never mention the second radiator fan in the engine cooling section, so I'm guessing it was for AC use only. Seeing that my AC compressor is locked up and the system is now empty, the AC doesn't work and that second fan won't kick on. Can you double check that your Legacy acts the same way?

Yep, any Radiator from '95 to '99 will work, I think only the 2.5s had the metal sides (Like GD said) just make sure the one you are looking at is for an AT so it has the cooling line dookers. :banana:

Yeah the individual support brackets can be found on that White Outback at Al's auto. Or if you can find a Forester.

FYI I've had 97 Outbacks that have a different radiator. The alignment pegs on the bottom are a different palce. IIR usually the pegs are lets say in the middle (on the bottom of course) of the bottom or each side tank. Some 97 Outbacks those pegs are either on those tanks way over by the radiator or are part of the radiator - but anyways very clos to where the tanks and radiator meet. This rad is also more expensive - like almost double IIR.

I was shocked as well. The 97 if you think about it does have some weirdnesses. The longer starter, the shims for valve adjustment, and sometimes a different rad.

Dave,

I have noticed the longer started on an Outback at the Junkyard. Does anyone know if its a larger Amp?

Jon, sure thing. I'll open the hood after driving it and see what it does, maybe I was just thinging it turns on.

Again, just keep in mind, my Radiator is original and is plastic and is a single row, works just fine. I think if you just get a new one you'd be safe. The EJ22s don't really get all that hot.

PS: Make sure you burped all the air outta the system.