Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

So I'm looking at replacing my EA82 wagon with a 1994 EJ22T Touring wagon but I have some questions.

I've never owned one of this generation of cars before and am reletivly clueless as to what to look for in this used car.

Are there any common issues with this car? Engine? Turbo? Any dead give aways to indicate a lemon? Former race car?

The car looks to be in great shape. Good body, 220k km, very clean.

From what I've been reading the EJ22T is a great engine. I've always loved the EA82 and would like to experience the EA82T but I just can't find one near me in decent shape.

Tips? Advice?

I know this one will go quiclky and would like to have a look at it tomorrow. (Sunday)

Thanks in advance!

Marko

As with all used cars, check it over really good or bring a mechanic friend that knows Subaru's, that would be the best idea.

The biggest thing about any engine is maintenance. See if theres any records or proof that regular oil changes have been done. Find out when the timing belt was last changed along with the waterpump, etc.

If regular maintenance was done there should be many miles left in it.

the auto trannys on the touring wagons are the failpoint. Too much torque, they usually start slipping in the high clutch packs.

Timing belt change although nice, is not much to worry about, its a non interference engine and can be run til it breaks.

Edited by bheinen74

great!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So the auto trans is an issue? I like the auto because the wife can drive it if nessasary but have never owned a sube with an auto.

Other than check for burnt fluid, what can I do to identify a bad auto tranny? Road test and punch it in a higher gear?

As for the timing belt, that's why I like the 2.2. Non interfierence is a big seller.

How about the head gaskets? Heads? I've heard the EA82T's have issues with HG failures and cracks between the valves. Same in the EJ22T?

Any other tidbits? What about the turbo? I have no turbo experience. Don't know what to look for.

They want 3600 for the car so I don't think it'll go too quickly but I'd like to have a close look tomorrow.

Thx

check ATF (dipstick is hidden away on the left side almost under the side of the starter, down from the coolant tank) check for burnt smell, or dark coloring. Ideally you want nice clean pinkish stuff.

make sure tires match.

good car if you find a nice one.

All touring wagons only were offered with the auto

Power antenna on rear right like to break.

dash lights like to get burned out for instrument cluster.

Going to look at the car this morning.

Right off the bat I'm told that there are cracks in the windshield and sunroof. He also mentioned that a cv joint needs to be replaced.

I'm thinking that $3600 is WAY too high of a price for this car.

I'm going to have a look across Canada and compare prices for this model and newer.

Wish me luck.

The car sold for $3500 shortly after I looked at it. I was surprised. The owner did ring me and let me know.

The body was in decent shape. Not very much rust, just a few small spots, but full of dents and scratches.

Windshield was toast and leaking in the lower corner. Sunroof was broken and leaking in one corner.

CV joint was a clicker.

Quite a bit of wind noise/rattles in the car.

Engine seemed sound. Pulled ok. Less than I expected though.

The owner told me the fuel mileage and I wasn't impressed at all. 400 km/tank == about 12L/100km. My 365hp pickup gets 14 on the highway.

I was planning to make an offer tomorrow of $2800. Didn't want to insult the guy but I honestly did not think that car would sell for that kind of money.

Oh well, I hope the new owner (already had a mid 90's legacy) is happy with it.

I'll just keep running up the mileage on my 88 GL wagon. Till the body falls off anyway!

Thanks for all your help everyone. At least I learned a little in the process!

Marko

well they're one of 1100 donchaknow. Says so on the Internet. Ya, real rare like. Adds to the value. Closed deck block with oil squirters too, so it's ready to make real power.

The hype around them makes people overpay. They're good cars, but like you said, the power won't blow you away. Even at 10psi, they're good, but not great.

No intercooler, small turbo, small heads, it all conspires to limit the power. That's all fixable of course, but that takes money and time.

rare and desirable are 2 different things, its rare that I crap my pants, but its usually not all that desirable.

I love these cars and the ej22t is solid as a rock, but with 130k miles on it and beat to hell, i wouldn't pay that for it.

Omg that's funny.

Yes, it was a nice car. It had lots more power than my ea82. It was a much better ride.....

It was however a bit quirky, not great on fuel, and not a cinch for the 'family' car.

I did not know about the rarity of the car though. Had I known it would have sold so easily if I didnt like it I would have bought it just to drive for a while and get to know the ej motor.

I'll just keep looking. I always had a H6 outback in mind. We'll see....

Marko

They are not nearly as rare as the "Internet" claims. The 1100 number ge's tossed around be people trying to sell them as rare. I don't know where the number originated, but there's way more than 1100 of them. How would Legacycentral.org exist if there were that few? I've worked on 3 around here, and most of them disappeared in a poof of rust by now.

The numbers, are more around 2900 total.

Of those about half were 5speeds. Then the colors came up, with a few colors a "order only" that they were never painted unless a customer specail ordered it that way.

Only about 500 were the 1994. MY 94's VIN ended in in less than 499, in fact my crimson red is number 499

We need to get a VIN database log on BBS, which is how they do it over on SVX net. There were fewer turbo legs made than SVX.

I have saved now 3 turbo legs from becoming ej22t donor cars...

my current 94SS 0499

my former: 92SS 07844

my former 93SS 05823

my former 94 Turbo wagon 0444

and the 94 one i sold mick was like 29x

somone, please start a dbase.

sometimes i write down vins of the SVX in junkyard sighting or take a pic of vin plate so they can update the svx database.

whatever the outcome, not many are left still around. Most were wrecked and junked, or scrapped in favor of a ej22T swap to impreza or newer WRX.

Edited by bheinen74