Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does this look like a blown head gasket???

My son just bought this car, 95 Legacy Outback 2.2L, and it had overheated. We are in the process of replacing the water pump and timing belt and saw this coolant settle out over the last couple of days. This isn't heavy like oil but it is darker than the rest of the coolant. Would a block testing fluid still be able to test this after it is out of the vehicle?

Thanks for the help! I've had a lot of good help on this forum!

post-36345-136027647852_thumb.jpg

Looks like what collects after repeated overheating.

You gotta tell up the symptoms.

We bought it from an older couple that was driving it last fall in a caravan of people and the people behind her saw what looked to them like the car was smoking. They called her on her cell phone to tell her and she noticed that the temp gauge showed hot, so she pulled over and parked it until they could trailer it back to town. They never had it looked at by a mechanic but assumed that it was a stuck thermostat or failed water pump. The oil didn't have any water in it, the radiator didn't have bubbles showing up when it ran after we bought it, and the compression tests for all 4 cylinders were very close to each other. We towed it home after paying $700 and hearing it run for a minute, and it runs really well.

Blown head gaskets on subarus don't usually cause low compression, or the engine to run bad.

With the engine warmed up, look in the overflow tank. If you see bubbles coming out, the HG is blown.

Happened to me, put in a 2.2 I got, must have been overheated. When I took it apart the gasket around the waterjacket was all blown out from too much heat/pressure.

Disregard the part about the oil in the antifreeze....

My son wanted to know what it would look like if he added oil to the antifreeze and poured some in it... Ding dong kids!!

Anywho, I need to start another post, we have another problem now.

You must have not read through the thread or atleast the post above yours ^^

Well i was right :)

With all the data base errors i just been reading the lead posts since only God knows when it will go poof on me