Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was VERY fortunate to have Subaru replace the orginal headgaskets on my mother's 99 Forester last month under warranty. The vehicle had 85K on it. (She drives very little). I noticed the increasing external leak on the drivers side and because I alerted Subaru in the past to the situation.... they covered it. I also had a new rear seal, and separator plate replaced at the same time. Subaru has always been good to me.

My question: What is the reliability of this SOHC 2.5 when it has the NEW Subaru headgaskets in it now?? Is it as solid as my 95 2.2s? I know it's noisier! How many miles will these go when compared to the early 2.2s?

Mom now has decided to not drive anymore and I'm not sure what to do with this vehicle. It's in GREAT shape and fresh out of the Subaru garage.

Thanks, Todd

Edited by SUBARU3

Very good reliability. Actually you've got the best of everything here, you lucked into the best SOHC you can get. If you buy one that has already had the headgaskets replaced you don't know if that car was overheated, etc - that's bad for the block. But you bought one, noticed the HG's before overheating, and had them replaced without any overheating.

The overheats are the main (almost only) thing that reduce the reliability or mileage of this engine. You've avoided that.

The SOHC's don't have near the issues of the DOHC's. The headgaskets rarely repeat fail - and having it done at the dealer should even mitigate that already low rate, since they do it right and don't use aftermarket gaskets, which are known to fail on EJ25's.

Thanks for the good info.

Yea, the car never overheated, I just saw the green coolant start dripping from the gasket. It increased in cold weather. If you looked at the headgasket from the bottom on a cold morning, it would be dripping. It stopped after warm up obviously.

Yes, the dealership was great and the mechanic there is a Japanese guy ; trained in Japan with Subaru. A great mechanic!

If I sell, I will post here. Big decision. Do I need to add this to the stable? LOL I like the space in the Forester!

1995 Impreza FWD 1.8 70K

1995 Impreza AWD 2.2 59K

1995 Legacy AWD 2.2 93K

1978 Subaru wagon Automatic 64K

1979 Subaru wagon 5 speed 88K

1979 Dodge Colt twin stick 64K

1994 Chevrolet Astro 4.3 72K

Too many cars! LOL

I had a 1999 Forester five speed manual. Head gaskets replaced at about 150,000 miles after unexplained overheating. Had no further head gasket problems when it was laid to rest after breaking a rod on the interstate at about 230,000 miles. Based on grossgary's comments about overheating's effect on engine life that may have been a contributing factor to its demise.

I had a 1999 Forester five speed manual. Head gaskets replaced at about 150,000 miles after unexplained overheating. Had no further head gasket problems when it was laid to rest after breaking a rod on the interstate at about 230,000 miles. Based on grossgary's comments about overheating's effect on engine life that may have been a contributing factor to its demise.
quarter million miles isn't bad, but that's about how it goes. it's not that hard to find EJ25's with this general story line "Headgaskets replaced.......then tossed a bearing". quite common, hard to imagine they're not related, but i am sort of assuming.

my SOHC - 165k miles - h.g. replaced at around 130k miles

no issues since

and this is my daily driver (100+ miles per day)

very solid car, for me? no real unexpected issues.

I'd buy that Forester in a heartbeat for the right price :)

In February my son bought a '95 Legacy S with the 2.2, now with 151k - I love the sound of that engine, brings back memories to my '92 Legacy L and the '85 GL. I think that was a 1.8. I just traded in an '02 Outback for an '02 Forester with the manual transmission. The Outback was a great car - would have kept it years longer had I not found the Forester S with the 5-speed. I wonder do the SOHC tend to have as many head gasket failures as the DOHC? Luckily traded in a '98 Outback with 102k in 2005 for the '02. The dealership recommended the '02 Outback's headgaskets be replaced - never had any overheating issues but did have to add anti-freeze every few months.

I love our fozzy. It handles good, is comfy and roomy. I would keep it and sell that chevy astro-van. Where you from? I'm out by midlothian.

what dealer did you take it to, subaru of plano? that's where I get all my parts from.

Edited by Ricearu

Well, the Astro has only 70K on it and is in perfect condition. It gets used all the time for hauling things around and it can also tow if needed. I almost did sell it, but now thankful I didn't. It was my Moms before and just was too big for her. She got the Forester.

Believe it or not, it gets nearly the same mpg as the Forester!

Unfortunately I could smell a bit of anti freeze when I drove the Forester recently. Looks like I'll need to be aware of possible trouble. I had the same situation with the Outback - but it never overheated. I'd just add coolant every few months or so. I remember seeing a first generation Chevy Astro - with a 5-speed. Must have been with the GM 2.5L 4 that was available as a base engine back then.

That's the only 5-speed Astro I've ever seen. I owned a Ford Aerostar with a 5-speed - a nice but rare combination with the 3.0 V6. But it was awful in snow - we get plenty in this neck of the woods which is another reason Subaru is what I'm staying with. Just checked the Forester - the coolant level seems fine. Subaru is one of the few still offering manual transmissions with an SUV - not any more in the RAV4 or CRV.

Well, if you need to haul or tow.....Subaru won't cut it. So that's why I have 1 Astro in my stable with the 6 Subarus. Your right...is's no good in snow. (What little we get in Texas).

I sure hope Subaru never drops the manual transmission option!!