Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I use a Walker catalytic convertor?

My wife's 98 Legacy Outback limited (still looks and runs great at 200K miles) needs the front catalytic convertor replaced....when cold it sounds like marbles in a tin can if you bang on it---definately not the heat shields.

I priced a genuine Subaru cat convertor and as some of you may know, they're obscenely expensive. The local NAPA store however tells me they've got the "correct Walker part" in stock for far less.

Any of you have experience using a Walker convertor rather than an OEM? I've heard stories of "check engine" lights coming on when using a non-factory convertor because they don't "scrub" the exhaust the same as the OEM convertor....

Most aftermarket stuff is junk when it comes to exhaust. It will last about a year tops if you drive in salt, then it will rust in two. They might have liftetime warranty, but you are looking at shop time alot to get them replaced.

Aftermarket exhaust most times do not use flanges to bolt it on, they use slip joints and need U clamps to hold together, or need welded. The cost of having someone replace something welded is a lot more than removing two bolts and replacing exhaust with factory stuff.

I would not even consider it on a car you plan to drive for 5 years down the road.

The only time i would do it is to sell a car quick.

commercial sale of used catalytic converters is illegal, but non commercial isn't. find someone parting out a low mile car and grab it from them cheap. takes about an hour to install most of them if its built into the y pipe just replace the whole y pipe, if its just the cat, it should only take about 30 minutes.

I would trust the Walker name for a cat. They have been in the exhaust biz for a long time with a good reputation, and NAPA has a reputation of selling good quality parts. Just for giggles, how much is the part from a dealer? Expensive I am sure, and I am sure the quality is excellent, but hard to justify a super high price for your 98 with 200K on the odo.

You might also want to see if you have a cut, bent, weld muffler shop in your area. Most are family owned. This type of muffler shop does work on the cheap, but for a cat they may be okay. Think about it.....they wouldn't be selling cats for long, if customers kept coming back with a CEL light problem from their cats. So, it is worth checking out.

I had one of these shops replace my resonator on my 98 OBW. They simply eliminated the resonator, and replaced with a straight pipe. This is perfectly legal, as the cat still works on my exhaust. Cost was like $45 out the door. Car is very quiet.

I sold a small pile of cats yesterday.

The guy I sell my cats too pulled an aftermarket out of the pile - worhtless for precious metals. He says the exhaust places tell him most aftermarket's are meant to last about a year. In other words ot get you past THIS inspection.

FWIW

I have had luck with Bosal on VW's. Never needed to buy a cat for a Suby.

If you get a walker, get a "direct fit" type. they are a little bit more expensive, but they are a bolt in type with flanges. I sell them where i work, and they are decent. But they are stamp steel, so if you live in the rust belt... :-\

I would explore finding a used or pull-off unit if possible. Sometimes you find them cheap on craigslist, when someone installs a fancy bling exhaust.

If the price is right for a new cat, then you may as well. I myself would bypass it or cut it out, but i have done that before, and this time i would rather at least find a used one to replace for the sake of the o2 sensor functioning properly.

if you "gut" it, it will throw a check engine light and you will be commiting a crime. It is a violation of federal law to alter emissions equipment :lol: NOBODY here has ever done that though....:) seriously if you gut it, your car will run worse because the downstream o2 sensor will throw the ECU into a fit.

Subaru dealer COST on this cat convertor is 675.00. Dealer COST...so depending on the dealer's price break mark-up matrix, the selling price to a customer is generally in the 8 to 9 HUNDRED dollar range. Spending that kind of money on a 200K mile car is rather tough to justify---even though the car still shines and runs well....looks as though I'm going with the Walker Direct-Fit....it's approx 240.00

Subaru dealer COST on this cat convertor is 675.00. Dealer COST...so depending on the dealer's price break mark-up matrix, the selling price to a customer is generally in the 8 to 9 HUNDRED dollar range. Spending that kind of money on a 200K mile car is rather tough to justify---even though the car still shines and runs well....looks as though I'm going with the Walker Direct-Fit....it's approx 240.00

I agree with your logic and decision. I would do the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MagnaFlow-Direct-Fit-Catalytic-Converter-23874-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aSubaruQQhashZitem5643fd9d2eQQitemZ370507881774QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$184 shipped, its magnaflow, and the seller is summit racing equipment.

I like magnaflow and the price is hella right

and you can bolt it on yourself in the driveway

That'd be illegal, me thinks.
It's not illegal unless your state or local government says so. For example, in my county in Pennsylvania, my car needs only pass a visual exhaust inspection. My car is so rare, I doubt a mechanic would know whether or not my car has two pre-cats or two resonators and a collector cat. He probably wouldn't know that a resonator was cut out of my car before I got it because it was buzzing. In Indiana, they don't even have vehicle inspection.

Hence why I said "depending on your exhaust regulations".