Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T to 5-speed

I'm pulling my engine to replace head gaskets and re-seal. I was thinking that I would make sure the engine was good before I invested too much, but now might be the best time to swap in my 5-speed D/R

Are there any caveats to running an EA82 5-speed on an EA81T? I see the starter is on the opposite side. Will that clear the turbo bits well enough?

I'm new to Subaru, so any relevant info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, ok. I didn't have them side-by-side, but for some reason I was thinking the starter was different. That's good news.

I'm going over some write-ups again, I think I may be better doing one thing at a time. I bought this 5-speed to replace a 4-speed, not an auto, so I don't have all the bits I'd need (eg. shifters, flywheel, etc). I might just have to wait until the local yard gets another donor.

How are the 3at's for drivability? I bought the car as a non-runner with I think about 130k. Planning on a fluid and filter change before I try to drive it.

What does that mean? I've never had or worked on an auto before this car, other than doing a filter and fluid change on a friends car once.

(Edit: I found the USRM page which explained somewhat)

Edited by Red0ktober

go with a 5spd. use the 5spd driveshft, and fab a carrier mount.

a 4spd ea81 trans mount will bolt onto the 5spd.

use the 5spd flywheel on the ea81 crank, and the ea81 bolts. Use locktite or thread sealer since the bolts go through the crank

you will have to notch out the bottom corners of the ea81 bellhousing to clear the teeth on the ea82 flywheel

use a m/t starter from ea81/ea82/ej18/22

Simple enough, it's the same as any ea81 swap. Your swap was actually my first clutch/swap/turbo, and it worked for me the first time!

There is a lot of good information in this thread so far, but not all of it is accurate. I have done this swap before and its pretty easy.

First, find the 5 speed swap guide.

Second, you don't need to do any grinding on the bell housing (EA81Ts got larger housings to clear torque converters), but you might want to on the rear of the transmission case, in some cases, it will tap on the transmission tunnel and become quite obnoxious.

Like Turbone said, you will need parts from a 4 speed car.

Heck, find that how-to and you'll be set.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll answer them as best I can.

• 2 weeks later...

So I need to chase down a 4-speed car if I don't want to gut my '81.

So to convert from the 3AT, I'll need the pedal box and clutch cables/linkages. Shifter/4x4 mounts, linkages, center console. I don't have the 5-sp driveshaft, so I'll probably need to find one of those too. Can it be from any 5-sp like a loyale that had the push-button 4x4 or an AWD, or do I need one specifically from a D/R?