Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I MUST be sure, please help: EA71 pistons in a EA81 engine

Hello, I'm totally new here. I'm from Chile, south america and a proud 1987 BRAT owner since January.

well, I bought it because I love the looks, and because it remember me my childhood I think.

I bought it, and use it inmediatly for ALL!!! never check the engine or nothing, just change the tires. And one day it sounds like a can full of stones and stop working. Now is in the shop and it will be repaired.

Here is totally imposible to find spares so I bought almost everything online on ebay, but I can't find a standard size piston kit. I found a EA71 piston kit and I did some web research and it seems to be compatible, but I'm not sure, and if I buy it and it doesn't work, I can't return it because is too expensive return things from here.

Can anybody tell me if this pistons will work on my brat?

thanks, and sorry if this thread is missplaced!!!

"I can't find a standard size piston kit."

Hi Zaplage,

There was a board member here that posted a new set for sale a short time ago. Pistons, rings, pins, and locks. If you're interested still in a set, even from the U.S. I'd look them up. I believe he wanted only $100.00 for them.

I have a set of EA-81 Atsugi (Japan) Beck/Arnley pistons I'd let go pretty cheap. I used the rings on an EA-82, pins and locks are gone from the set as well.

Doug

Yes, EA82 pistons will work also. They will raise compression slightly more than the EA71 pistons will. I have built EA81's both ways and they work great:grin:

How much would that raise the compression? with a weber carb, a decent exhaust, and some other mild tuning ill bet they would make a pretty good amount of power. Can it run off of pump gas?

"I can't find a standard size piston kit."

There was a board member here that posted a new set for sale a short time ago. Pistons, rings, pins, and locks. If you're interested still in a set, even from the U.S. I'd look them up. I believe he wanted only $100.00 for them.

yes! it would be perfect!!! who was he?

Please pm me if you want them. I figure a rough value of 100 bucks. I'm open to offers that include shipping. They are still in the box as they were, and i only opened it to inspect the contents.

They were given to me by a brat enthusiast when i hepled him swap out an ea81 in a 78 wagon. They have been in the box this whole time, some six years. They are wrapped in a wax paper, and the rings are in plastic wrapping.

Please pm me if you want them. I figure a rough value of 100 bucks. I'm open to offers that include shipping. They are still in the box as they were, and i only opened it to inspect the contents.

They were given to me by a brat enthusiast when i hepled him swap out an ea81 in a 78 wagon. They have been in the box this whole time, some six years. They are wrapped in a wax paper, and the rings are in plastic wrapping.

I post you a visitor message, I don't know how to send a PM :o