Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locked keys in Brat....can't find spare!

I locked mine in my Brat when I went in to take a final at college a long time ago. I took a coat hanger, shoved it in the window and flicked the t-top latch down so I could open it from the inside, I then either used my hand or coat hanger to slide the latch over so I could remove it. I don't remember if I used the coat hanger to pull the keys from the ignition or just opened the door while lying on the roof.

Of course, this depends on you having t-top.

Subaru may be able to look up the key code from the VIN, give them a call and give them your VIN.

service manager told me that when a car is sold the salesmen back then was supposed to write the key code down with the paper work - if they did, they can look it up with the VIN. if the salesmen did not, then they can not. so it's hit or miss.

so far, except for one time maybe, i've got a few keys cut this way.

+1 for using old Subaru keys. that happens *all* the time, i dont' even know how many subaru keys i've had work in other subarus, but it's a lot. the XT6 key on my keychain right now starts two of my XT6's. (though it doesn't work in the door/trunk of one). i keep old keys, even from scrapped cars for this reasons sometimes.

ask for 5 board members to give you some old warn down subaru keys? :lol: parts wanted forum request? might be kind of fun!

I have broken into my own ea81 and ea82(2 door and 4 door) by wedging out the glass(frameless window) and reaching through. The trick is to get your elbow throeugh, near the topmost rear corner of the glass, and if your arm is skinny enough, you can reach over and pop the lock.

On 4 door soobs, i find the rear windows easiest to get at.

Unbelievable! My kids 84 GL wagon key opened it!

awesome!

Ive locked my keys in the xt6 a couple times recently, the hardest car ive ever tried to open with a wire (never seems to be a slim jim around when I need one) so ive resigned myself to lock up with the key only..so far so good

Funny thing, no later than i replied to this post. i went back to the shop and lo and behold, Desmond had locked his key in the brat.

We used a screwdriver to peel back the window, and a longer one to pop the fun top latch. It was too easy.