Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 subaru overheating, but not mixing oil/water

Hey all. Got a 1993 Legacy that is overheating. Obviously head gasket is suspect, but there is no oil in the water or water in the oil. The thermostat has been replaced. It drives for around 10 miles and overheats, but there is still plenty of water in there? Any thoughts?

rusted impeller on water pump or crappy thermostat.

head gaskets are RARELY suspect on ej22's, that was only on ej25's. replace thermostat with a DEALER ONLY thermostat and try again. if not, look at water pump. you could get a block test done to test for combustion gases in the coolant

Hey all. Got a 1993 Legacy that is overheating. Obviously head gasket is suspect, but there is no oil in the water or water in the oil. The thermostat has been replaced. It drives for around 10 miles and overheats, but there is still plenty of water in there? Any thoughts?

Every ej22 motor I have come across with a blown head gasket (two so far) has exhibited your exact symptoms.

How do I go about belching the coolant? Also, if it is the head gasket, how much should I expect to spend on getting it fixed?

If you are able to do it yourself, about $200 to $250 for the all the gaskets (head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover), seals (crank and cam), timing kit (belt, water pump, and pulleys/tensioners) and maybe even radiator hoses. It is not very technically challenging work, but it can be labor intensive. If you take it somewhere to be done, it can be rather expensive (pushing $1000 in my area).