Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drum brake adjusters stuck

Apart from rust penetrant or liquid wrench, any tips or methods to get a brake adjuster unstuck? I am hesitent to put too much force and have something snap off. I kinda would just like to replace them, but I am unsure if I could find good ones to do so.

I try rocking stuck things back and forth with as much force as I dare, also sometimes using a cordless drill with the clutch adjusted pretty tight but so it will still click going forward and reverse, sort of a poor mans impact gun, and PB blaster its worth it, good luck....................G

Intermittently soaking them with pblast and having a lot of patience is what worked for me. Even then I still managed to break one of the studs off (while removing the cylinder for refurbishing), now both of my rear cylinders are held on by just one stud :P

Replacing them would have to be my favorite option, then you could have some peace of mind to go with your salad. Here's an example from O'reilly's online store.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edited by essexkun

^ I could not find them at rockauto, just the cylindars. Do you have a link by chance?

0850116 rockauto's part number, for '84 BRAT

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1267725,parttype,685

If that's the type adjuster you're looking for, it should fit either the EA81's or EA82's.

I know the '88 GL10 FWD Wagon I had used that type on the rear. They were froze, and I used ones from a parts BRAT to swap them out.