Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All right...I come to you with little to no knowledge about Subaru. I have three friends with Outbacks, all in love with the vehicle.

My situation: At age 60, I have had 7 Volvos and currently at the end of my 1995 850 wagon- 250,000 miles, time to part ways.

I always loved the solid feel of Volvo and I have gotten pretty darn good at repairing them. My buddies tell me to "Live a little...try the Subaru".

I have $20,000...need a wagon. I want a solid car, comfortable, reliable, does NOT use premium fuel, no rattles and longevity. What should I look for in the Subaru line?

Are they prone to rust? Do they have 'long lives'?

I even think I want a Dealer Certified Pre Owned, as to have the luxury of a warranty.

If I were you, I would get a 2008 6-cylinder LLBean Outback wagon. It has the facelift that was new that year, the 6-cylinder does not require premium fuel, and the automatic transmission has 5 speeds. If you look hard enough you will find one; they are routinely listing in the low $20s.

At age 66, I am on my third Subaru, and wife and I still drive 2 out of the three. Subarus are very dependable, will easily go 300K miles in a lifetime with proper maintenance. They are easy to work on.....the serpentine belt is up front behind the radiator, alternator is at the top front of the engine, starter is high on the back of the motor. The spark plugs are a little difficult to change, but seldom need changing. Brake pad changes are really easy. However, with high reliability, there isn't much work to do on the car.

I have ridden in Volvos, and owned several Audis and VWs. All of which have very rigid bodies and suspensions in the European tradition. A Subaru won't feel quite as solid, but that is not a negative. They drive and ride well. All Subarus have symmetrical all wheel drive, which makes the car feel very planted with high adherence to the road. In rain or snow, they pull nearly straight as an arrow through anything slippery. Their type of all wheel drive is superior to that of other manufacturers for traction.

My cars have no rust here in Indiana, but we prolly don't get as much snow, and subsequent salt added to the roads like you have. So, I am thinking all cars in your area suffer corrosion damage if not well cared for.

Suggest you look on line for used cars available in your area at dealers to learn pricing. Also look on Craig's list for Subarus for sale.

Happy car shopping, and join us here at USMB, if you buy a Subie. A lot of nice folks here, with lots of good advise.

Another old fart to the table. I'm currently on my 9th or 10th Subaru ( I have really lost count); however I still own a '97 Impreza wagon (215K), a '99 Forester which my wife drives (155K), and a couple of Brats (118K and 195K)---one for work and one for eventual re-sale. I normally buy my cars at 100K or so since the cost of the timing belt service usually persuades the average owner to sell at a lower price, have the work done by a mechanic I trust (I do a lot of my own work, but I leave the timing belt service to others), and keep them until I sell them (still running at around 250K or more).

$20K will buy you any number of Subarus, even some new ones off the showroom floor. I'm partial to the Impreza model since it is a little sportier than the Legacy line. I'm not interested in a WRX or STi since I don't need the expense or bragging rights. I like the early '90s models since Subaru went to an interference engine in 1997 and prefer the 2.2 liter engine for reliability and the 2.5L (rebuilt--look around for other posts on why) for a little more power even if it is an interference engine. I'm not partial to the 6 cylinder since the cost of routine maintenance goes up and I don't need that much power. I prefer the earlier cars since the current crop of Subarus have become much larger than I like.

Here's a pic of my daily driver and play impreza: picture.php?pictureid=1182&albumid=17&dl=1309815117&thumb=1http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/album.php?albumid=17&pictureid=1182

Do some research here and decide what you like. Drive a lot of models to see what you would prefer. I think you'll find the transition from your Volvo experience to Subaru pretty easy.

As to your question about rust, I couldn't tell you. I moved to the NW from northern NJ over 20 years ago and rust is not an issue out here. I'm sure there are others that post here that are local to you (nipper or moosens) that could give you an educated opinion on rust.

A dealer certified used car will cost you much more with or without the dealer warranty. I've always bought private seller and check out the owner as well as the car to see that it's been treated well (lots of paperwork is very re-assuring). I'll also spend $120 or so to have the car inspected first by a quality mechanic; not that I don't trust myself or my instincts but I don't have a shop or lift to do a thorough inspection that a good shop will do. A warranty can always be purchased if you want one. Me, I'd rather save the $3 to $5K up front than give it to a dealership for work that might never need to be done; if I'm unlucky, I'll have the $3k or $5K still in the bank.

Edited by edrach

My 2 cents: I've only had 2 Subaru's a 1978 Subaru DL 1.8 and my current 1995 Legacy Wagon 2.2. I've put about 350k miles between the 2 and all in NYC and Upstate. Rust can be an issue but I've only seen it on places that I got dinged really bad (enough to chip paint) the important parts of the car don't have any issues due to salt. Just run it through a cheap automated car wash once a week or so during heavy salting season and you'll be good to go. Get some well rated all season tires and you will not have an issue at all. You will be passing stuck cars left and right during snow storms. Not even kidding either.

If you like wagons then the outback works out well. The 5 door impreza is great too, kind of like a short wagon to me. You can drop the rear seats and put junk in the back like a wagon.

Edrach wasn't kidding about the timing belt service either. Trying to do it myself on my 95 Suby and it's a project all right. And you need to tell most mechanics exactly what needs to be done or they will just change the t-belt but not the pulleys, tensioner or seals. Even the local Subaru dealer (middletown, NY) failed to mention the pulleys and such when I had them change out the t-belt.

Good luck!

Edrach wasn't kidding about the timing belt service either. Trying to do it myself on my 95 Suby and it's a project all right. And you need to tell most mechanics exactly what needs to be done or they will just change the t-belt but not the pulleys, tensioner or seals. Even the local Subaru dealer (middletown, NY) failed to mention the pulleys and such when I had them change out the t-belt.

Good luck!

The dealer doesn't try to sell the idlers because they are so expensive. $90 for one bearing is very common pricing with the markup.

I think the advice from J A Blazer is good. Before you purchase a Subaru I suggest you at least try out a 2008 LL Bean Outback or one with the H6 engine in it. You may like that over the the H4 engine. They are more expensive and more than your stated budget. If you can add to it I think you would like what you can get. Here is a link for one vehicle near your area. If you could get the dealer to drop the price a couple of grand I think you would have a great car at a good price.

The cars hold up very well usually. Rust problems have been dealt with some time ago on these cars but I don't think any car will totally handle the problems over time you have in your area. I assume you have seen what these cars can do in the winter on snow covered roads while driving with your friends but if not you are going to like the ride.

As far as a warranty goes I think you would be better of setting aside a couple of thousand dollars to have on hand in case an unexpected repair came up. You will most likely be money ahead in the long run.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=67942660&listingRecNum=0&criteria=prMx%3D25000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26alMdId%3D21697%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21697%26kwm%3DANY%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-pseudoYear-kw%26zc%3D14202%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrMn%3D2008%26kw%3DH6%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26yrMx%3D2011%26alMkId%3D20041%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=cartalk

Just one other alternative that I thought I might mention.

Although you have expressed interest in a forester and also want to stay at 20 grand. One thing I would consider.

The new impreza launches this fall. The auto is said to get 37 mpg us gallons !

This car will cost between 25 and 30. There might be a 23 ish model one would hope.

Subaru bills this car as the most fuel efficient AWD car on the market.

The impreza doesn't sit SUV high like the forester but rather makes even more of the cars already low centre of gravity.

Just a thought ?

New Volvos aren't what they used to be, not nearly as reliable. My wife and I looked into buying a very clean used, but newer, XC70 wagon (2.5 liter 5 cylinder turbo with all wheel drive) and it was a great car to drive and ride in, but the mileage was pretty poor. Took the car over to my dad's house as he has a steep hill for a drive way and there was 1" of snow on the ground at the time and we wanted to test out the AWD. When the AWD engaged all we heard was a horrible grinding noise and the car got stuck in the middle of the hill. We took the car back to the dealer and said no thanks. I later did a ton of research to find that the AWD going out in the Volvos is very common due to poor design, and very costly to fix ($2500 just for dealer only parts from Volvo).

Subarus, at least today, have superior fuel economy, reliability, and the best AWD system for any car on the road today and I say that as an informed consumer and mechanical engineer.

I work at a Subaru dealer doing finance. You can get a base Forester for a little over $20k. The Outback is a little larger. Depending on the size that you need, you could also go with a New Imprezza hatchback. Those go for under 20k. You have the opportunity to go with new. Let us know what you decided to go with!