Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange electrical issue in my brat

Side effect of having my brat stored where it is. 25 mile one-way trip out there, so whatever tools/parts I have with me are pretty much all I have. I would very much like to have a plan of attack before I go out there again on Thursday.

The battery in my brat isn't in the greatest shape. I knew this, and since it hasn't really been run for more than a couple minutes since I bought it. So I let it idle for a couple hours while I was working on the front suspension today.

I was frequently checking the gauges, temp and voltage both looked excellent. Until, the voltage looked a little low. I hopped in, and gently brought the rpms up a bit, and the voltage fluctuated quite a bit. This seemed odd to me, so I turned the car off. When I turned the ignition back on, nothing. no lights, no nothing. I'm assuming something blew or fried and it was just running off the alternator for a few minutes.

So, with mediocre light (no electricity out there), and no volt meter, I set about trying to track it down.

The horn and hazards try to work, but not really. so I think some voltage is getting through, but just barely.

I checked all the fuses, none blown. fusible links appear to be OK. I removed all 3 and inspected them for any sign of failure.

That's all I could think to check without a volt meter. Obviously I will bring one with me when I go back on Thursday. But any insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't know EA81 wiring like I do newer subarus.....

Yeah - that positive feed into the fusible link box is almost always a problem. What I always do is remove the plastic shell, pry the crimp apart and carefully remove the spade - clean it up as shiny as I can - and then cut the wire and strip the insulation back about 1". Then I crimp the spade back on and solder it till the stranded wire is saturated. Then I put dielectric grease on the connection.

This has fixed 100% of those primary feed wires that I've dealt with. The problem is easy to check for - visual inspection - and if the car will run check the temp of the wire at the fusible link end. They will get REAL hot from the poor connection. After my solder fix they are always nice and cool.

GD

Im still having ridiculous problems with my brat, I found out my friends 00 outback is giving him trouble too.

its not the best time to discuss right now, But ill give this a shot. Who knows it may help. If not, it will not be the cause of future problems.Ill think of it as preventive maintenance.

Just stay positive:)

Yeah - that positive feed into the fusible link box is almost always a problem. What I always do is remove the plastic shell, pry the crimp apart and carefully remove the spade - clean it up as shiny as I can - and then cut the wire and strip the insulation back about 1". Then I crimp the spade back on and solder it till the stranded wire is saturated. Then I put dielectric grease on the connection.

This has fixed 100% of those primary feed wires that I've dealt with. The problem is easy to check for - visual inspection - and if the car will run check the temp of the wire at the fusible link end. They will get REAL hot from the poor connection. After my solder fix they are always nice and cool.

GD

This thing?

DSCF1345.jpg

The contact in the plastic is somewhat corroded, but I wouldn't have guessed it as a problem with a visual inspection.

That said, with the ignition on, my volt meter reads just over 12 at the battery, and barely 6 at the fusible links. So I pulled out this wire and will re-do it before I go back out next week.

So, thanks GD for the tip. I'll fix it up just like you suggested, hopefully that solves my problem.