Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82T Questions

What I have: 1985 GL M.P.F.I. (EA-82) non turbo front wheel drive 2 door (non hatchback)

I would like to: swap for a EA-82T or turbo my existing engine

Questions:

1.What is more realistic....the engine swap or adding a turbo to my engine (i did read that the EA-82T had modified cylinder heads and lower compression ratios so i guess i should ask..

2. can the EA-82 non turbo be turboed?

3. is it worth it or should i go for the swap?

Prepare for a badgering of "this is a terrible motor" blah blah.

But basically the turbo motor has lower compression to counter the boost and one of the heads had lines that came off it for the oil in the turbo.

You can do it but there is alot of stuff you'd have to change. I would suggest running a quick search on the matter

The ea82t has a hated history on this board, just do a quick search and you will find several people that have asked this exact question.

Even though you have the MPFI, the swap still isn't that "simple", and it's really not worth it in the long run. The ea82 just can't hold up the power that well. It will pop at some point.

I would suggest that you either do the EJ swap as suggested by GD, or just enjoy the ea82 for what is it, a decent, gets good gas mileage motor that is easy to work on, that can be reliable if treated right. It's not a power house or a race car. If that's what you are looking for, then I would suggest moving up to a legacy or an impreza...

Of course anything can be done, just nobody has actually done what you are asking because it's just not worth all the work for what you end up with. I know the turbo SEEMS like a good idea, but it's really not, at least on the ea82. Not to mention that even with the turbo, the ea82 is not a fast car by anymeans. My 1990 NA leggy wagon, which weighs more, is faster than a ea82t wagon according to my butt dyno (I have/do owned both).

HTH!

• 1 month later...

We used to encounter head cracking on the ea82t's. This was in the Sierra Nevadas however and these cars were forced to climb from 5ooo feet up to 9000 and back down to 6500 and back up and down weekly. I saw a few with upwards of 200k. They were fun to take up the hill climbs but you have to keep them cool. I miss the digital picture of the turbo that spins faster upon higher boost. If properly maintained they were ok in stock form but most of them were overheated. I never tried to turn one up but I would imagine that is where the problems start to multiply.

As GD Said is a Waste of Time, also Money... The EJ Swap is the Best Idea to Improve the Old Subie's Performance, but you can Keep the EA82 as it is a Fuel Saving & Long Lasting engine.

... according to my butt dyno...

This is the Greatest & Funniest Phrase I've read in Ages!... :lol: ...I Like it!

Kind Regards.

take your pick based on time/parts/cost/etc. mostly stuff we can't decide for you, either way the results won't really differ all that much.

i went the opposite way and installed an EA82 non turbo engine into an EA82T equipped 87 XT Turbo. it ran just by swapping engines and ECU and i drove it about 100 miles. it had issues, but since the car never did run and the JDM motor i got had bad headgaskets and cracked intake manifold runners (never seen that before), i never did figure out yet if the running issues were related to the swap or something else, but since i did drive it close to 100 miles i sort of think the engine/gas had issues.

i would recommend getting an absolutely complete engine to swap - with vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, and all those little bits.

in a lot of ways the EA82 is a poor platform so it's not typically worth much effort (hence the negative comments) but everyone's situation is different so have at it if you have a compelling reason to tear it up. it's not like i haven't gone through phases/learning curve spending time on cars i probably wish i wouldn't have! LOL

Edited by grossgary