Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 spfi gl doggy, no power

so i dont know if this is just how the cars are, but i have an 88 gl 10 wagon. it has a 3 speed automatic in it :-\ which probably doesnt help the power out. its got some mid range issues where it seems to loose a little power at mid range. i cleaned the MAF sensor, brand new CTS, fuel filter is good, and so is air filter. re built motor like 10 thousand miels ago, doesnt burn a drop of oil and the oil is very clean at 300 miles now, i took the EGR out, and i took both of the cats out.

it is an AT 3spd right? but it should atleast have some power, my 90 loyale will make it to 70 in under a mile, happened to have 1980 thru 94 manual handy so heres the trouble shooting for engine lacking power.

1.Incorrect ignition timing.

2.Exesive play in distributor shaft

3.worn rotor igniton coil or plugs plug wires

4.faulty or incorrectly gapped plugs

5.problem with carburator/fuel injection system.

6.plugged air filter

7.brakes binding

8.Automatic transaxle fluid level incorrect

9.fuel filter clogged/ impurities in fuel system

10.emission control system not working properly

11.low or uneven cylinder compression

12.obstructed exaust system.

Kudo's

SDO5

ok, i may have exaggerated. but like when i get on the interstate around here, its at a slight uphill, and it takes about 2 miles realistically to get up to 70. and no its not real steep. its just up hill very slightly. and i got new plugs in it also, its the mid to low rpm sorta hesitation thats bothering me. still wonderin if the crank angle sensor could have something to do with that?