Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just need a quick answer

subimonster

Don't.

Won't even really work at all on a manual. If it did it would be all through the LSD of the center and prolly smoke it pretty quick.

With an Auto, you can put it in FWD, then you'd have to take the shaft out and leave both cups installed, in the diff, and in the hub. Or else the Diff will drain fluid, and the bearing could come out of the hub.

well wasnt really looking for douche bags to get on here and flame on the post. the reason i ask is because my rear diff is welded and i used the subaru as an off road vehicle for years but i have been forced to drive it to work as a daily driver and i am tired of the rear diff tearing up the street tires i put on it. i was just seeing if I were to take apart an old cv axle and put the ends back in the diff and put the cup and axle nut through the bearing and hub if that will work until i get my new diff. if anyone has anything useful to say i appreciate it if not just click out of my posting it is that easy.

Rather than getting your panties in a twist, maybe take some responsibility yourself and fill in why you need an axle pulled and what transmission you have in your original question. If you want to experience real douchebag flaming, go post your question on pretty much any other board out there. USMB is tame and polite compared to the others.

Now I'll tell you why it's a stupid idea. It's an AWD car, so power is always going to the rear diff. If you pull one axle, then power will still be going to the other wheel, causing a pull and potentially unpredictable handling if you hit a slippery spot.

If you have a manual trans, 50% of the power of the car will be going through the one remaining axle all the time.

If you have an Auto, you could put in the FWD fuse when you're street driving it, or pull the rear section of driveshaft.

Pulling an axle is a PITA because you either have to get the lateral link bolt out, both the rear camber bolts out, or drop the diff. There isn't enough room to fit the axle in or out without dissasembling things. Then you need two cv cups to put back in to keep the bearings together and the oil in the diff. It's not like an old EA car where you could slide the axle off the stubs and put it in 2wd for the drive home.

Why not just replace the diff? It's the same amount of work.

Well I have to apologize because my son had me completely pissed off this morning and I let it rip on here. I was just looking for a quick fix because I am buying an outback transmission and differentials with the 4.44 gears in it but I need to save up for a little bit to buy them. It would just be nice to get some freindly subi love on an issue then having people get on and instead of trying to help just say well your a dumb rump roast and why ask that question. That you for you input on the issue.

if I were to take apart an old cv axle and put the ends back in the diff
you are exactly right - just disassemble a rear axle and bolt the end back in the hub. i'm not sure if there's a simple way to disassemble that outer joint though, i wasn't planning on reusing the axle so i discombobulated it. zzz

if it's an auto (seems like it is), you could also just remove the rear half of the driveshaft, rear diff, and install the FWD fuse.

well wasnt really looking for douche bags to get on here and flame on the post.
some of the neatest subaru people in the country replied to your post. they offer help/advice freely, that says something. they are far from the adjective you chose to call them. thanks for the apology, that was cool!

this forum is for anyone that can type on the interwebs. that means lots of frankly stupid questions by people that don't know what they're doing. sorry you got lumped into that, but without any explanation you look like the other dozens of jokers that are headed in the wrong direction.

thread titles like "just need a quick answer" don't help as the title usually involves the subject/question at hand. that looks like a title made by the jokers described above.

good luck with the axle and swap. should be simple....if RUST isn't too bad. :lol::lol:

well wasnt really looking for douche bags to get on here and flame on the post.

It would just be nice to get some freindly subi love on an issue then having people get on and instead of trying to help just say well your a dumb rump roast and why ask that question.

Seriously? You ask a question like that, and leave out the fact that you have a welded diff, and then get all pissed off at the responses? Screw off.

You gave zero background information, and wanted a quick answer. You got the quick answer based on the crappy question, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

I am buying an outback transmission and differentials with the 4.44 gears in it but I need to save up for a little bit to buy them.

Assuming this is an automatic transmission, the best way to go about this is to install the 4.44 rear diff and remove the rear section of driveshaft. Automatics are FWD transmissions with a clutch pack sending power to the rear, so the car will drive fine with the rear section of driveshaft removed. Putting in the replacement diff will remove your binding from the welded diff, and it gets you part way to your transmission swap.

If you cut the axle out, you'll need to buy another one with the swap. If you swap the diff, you'll be making progress on your swap.

My question "Why are you asking this"

Your answer "Because I have a welded diff"

I wouldn't have had to ask if you had included that in your original question.

You still haven't told us if it's an auto or a manual, and the AWD systems are completely different, so it makes a big difference in the answer to your question.

i am sorry again for the vague question in the first place. Again i apologize to the people who posted earlier i was quick on the trigger to hate on them but i dont believe it is necessary to insult me after the apology. Again i am sorry to the people that deserve it. I have an old CV axle that was in my shop that i will gut out and put the ends back in the diff and bolt back in the hub and see if that does the trick for a while until i get my other tranny and diff.

Facts:

95 legacy L automatic, welded rear diff, outback wagon struts, and my awd unit doesn't disengage unknown reason i havent looked at it only used the car as a wheeler until recently.

I dont want anyone to think i am some idiot trying to be cool with a lifted subaru and i am sure some of you think i am right now. I am an automotive technician i have been working on cars for a while and i have had this subaru lifted for going on 5 years now and very much enjoy wheeling it as i have taken it places that make some trucks sweat i just have not had to make a modification of this sort before. i will try to get a hold of the rear diff and put that in per woods wagons advice and run it like that without the rear drive line for a while. Hope that clears up the air a little bit.

Facts:

95 legacy L automatic, welded rear diff, outback wagon struts, and my awd unit doesn't disengage unknown reason

you don't need to swap transmissions to fix torque bind (the un-official term for locking rear transfer clutches). you can just swap the Duty C solenoid and rear clutch housing off another transmission, like the 4.44. it's not a bad job and can be done with the trans in the car, making it a whole lot simpler than removing the trans.

and you can even install a switch to "lock" the 4WD rear transfer clutches for offroad/snow use. quite a few of us have done it and it's really easy - only requires installing a switch to control one wire - for the duty C solenoid. highly recommended for offroad use.

and like i said - you can do what i mentioned earlier, i've done it before to hold the rear bearings together by disassembling a rear axle. but honestly i'd probably just swap rear transfer housings on the trans, time better spent there i would think.

I was just putting a lower mile tranny in it as mine has 265k on it and has never been gone through. I will defiantly have to check into the duty c solinoid thing I was trying to think of how to do that a while ago but thank you for explaining it in a little detail. I found a rear diff already I am waiting a couple paychecks to get it though.

well wasnt really looking for douche bags to get on here and flame on the post. the reason i ask is because my rear diff is welded and i used the subaru as an off road vehicle for years but i have been forced to drive it to work as a daily driver and i am tired of the rear diff tearing up the street tires i put on it. i was just seeing if I were to take apart an old cv axle and put the ends back in the diff and put the cup and axle nut through the bearing and hub if that will work until i get my new diff. if anyone has anything useful to say i appreciate it if not just click out of my posting it is that easy.

#1) You never mentioned that the rear diff is welded. (meaning your center VLSD diff is likely now toasted, but I digress......) This piece of info completely changes the situation in terms of providing you with your answers.

#2) The very first response in this thread I told you EXCACTLY what you are now talking about doing. Install each end of a CV axle at the diff and wheel, with the shaft removed.

#3) Why not just buy a new diff?.....they are like $25-50 bucks from u-pull.

EDIT* Read more repsonses.......apology accepted. Also I had assumed manual.....Auto has no VLSD......worth noting that a welded rear diff COULD have contributed to the clutch pack issue.

Edited by Gloyale

it is cool i lost it a little and am sorry. i cant buy any diff unless it is free because i am mega broke right now. i currently live in Sandy OR which is close to Welches. I am leaning towards making this car my off road only vehicle again because making it road worthy is getting harder and harder and i may be selling my truck to buy another vehicle. i am interested in the 4.44 parts if you can give me a good price and do you have the tranny as well because mine is almost toasted.

EDIT* Read more repsonses.......apology accepted. Also I had assumed manual.....Auto has no VLSD......worth noting that a welded rear diff COULD have contributed to the clutch pack issue.

??? WHAT ABOUT 90 LEG SPORT (TURBO) I THOUGHT THEY HAD 3.9 VLSD ALLTHE WAY6 AROUIND

??? WHAT ABOUT 90 LEG SPORT (TURBO) I THOUGHT THEY HAD 3.9 VLSD ALLTHE WAY6 AROUIND

That would be a VLSD rear diff.

Autos have no "diff" in the center.

No Subarus have LSD front diff*

*except some STI???

All STi 6-speed transmissions in the US have a front LSD. No, you can't swap it to a 5mt.

why not? people have made 4.44 DR ej transmissions,I have climbed up hills or made it though mud holes that people said was impossible in a car.Impossible just means it hasn't been done yet.