Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well after having my legacy misfiring and running like ************ since April and having replaced just about every part you can for a misfire and having it to 3 mechanics, I have finally fixed it! As i was getting my car ready to be towed to my mechanic to have another engine put in. I decided as a last ditch attempt to try my bottle of seafoam that i was told wouldn't help me any.. I poured half a bottle of seafoam in the pcv valve and the other half in my crankcase. i hammered on the throttle wide open for a few minutes and then it started smoking from the heads.. I got in not expecting anything and lo and behold the car stops missing! I couldnt believe it. the car had full power again i drove up the hill no problem at all! So anyways im guessing that the hydraulic lash adjusters on this 95 2.2 thats in my car were sticking up or the valves were sticking because of carbon and the seafoam got rid of the carbon and made all the cylinders fire right again.. thats my theory anyways. I cant believe i finnaly fixed it. Its such a great feeling. lol

Often clears it up. But the Ethanol is truely crap.

I usually just use the brake boost vacuum line. I gave up on finding one on the throttle body to work properly.

I keep dumping it into a lid from a paint can so I can see how much it's sucking up - highly scientific.

Follow direction on the bottle. Do somewhere out of the way. Makes a cloud of white smoke - the neighbors may call the fire department.

Usually lasts atleast several thousand miles if not longer. Haven't been messing with Suby's lately (or any cars due to car wreck) but it used to work very well. Between Seafoam and the "spark plug non-fouler" trick a lot of emissions related stuff is curable without major expense.

How is ethanol crap? It's 107 octane. That's ultra high quality fuel. As long as your ECU knows how to differentiate between the oxygen concentration levels between dinofuel and ethanol then your car will run just fine. It's doesn't corrode parts (contrary to popular belief) and makes my engine purr.

ethanol IS very high octane rating. its ALSO horrible for its

tendency to attract water from thei air. apparently fuel doesnt like water in it.

also, just for the record, more than the bare minimum octane is BAD.

thehigher the octane, the slower the burn.

low octane fuel actually has the most potential energy, or to look at it another way, the lower the octane, the more B.T.Us it is capable of achieving.

Ethanol is CRAP.

Draws moisture which causes most of the problems.

Takes more energy to produce than is generated when it is burnt.

SO corrosive it can't be shipped through pipe lines.

Have you seen how it's distorted corn prices - all because Obama wanted to buy Iowa's votes? In Brazil (WAY aead of us) they use sugar beets. But sugar beet farmers aren't in the first state that votes in the US primaries!

I invest a lot.

Are you aware it cost 8k to retrofit each fuel pump to make them so Ethanol didn't ruin them? Someone asked what about our cars if it does that to the pmps. The answer was buy a new car!! Seriousely.

Talk to any independent (not Lowes or HD) small equipment shop. Been ruining chain saws, week wackers, etc since it started being forced on us. Infact I'd argue this is where problems were first noticed.

Do just a little research on Ethanol. Take off your tree hugger hat and put on your thinking cap. In the end you should actually come to the same conclusion even if you keep your tree hugger hat on! You just gotta do a little research and think a little bit.

Never believe what a politician tells you. As Reagan said "trust, but verify" at the minimum.

You can search here for the spark plug non-fouler trick to be used as a spacer for the second O2 sensor (which has nothing to do with how the engine runs.

Looks like this turned into an Ethanol thread. In my opinion, ethanol is a good fuel, but it has to be understood that it degrades rubber parts over time. It also attracts moisture, which cars don't like to burn. Maybe these are reasons that Subaru does not produce cars that are flex fuel enabled.

I have read that growing some type of grass, (not pot) produces a much better yield of ethanol then corn, but I don't hear that discussed at all these days.

I am in favor of any fuel that helps reduce U.S. dependence on oil. The world oil mafia has us by the short hair, and charges us whatever they want to charge us. Just think, pump prices are up a $l.00/gallon over last year this time for no good reason.

I still think that oil revenues paid to middle eastern countries gets into the hand of world terrorists to fund their trouble making........ just "letting out my frustration."

Ethanol is CRAP.

False. Crap comes from your colon. Ethanol does not.

Draws moisture which causes most of the problems.

You do know this as been debunked over and over, yes?

Takes more energy to produce than is generated when it is burnt.

Very fasle. For every 100BTU that is spent to produce ethanol, 120BTU is burned.

SO corrosive it can't be shipped through pipe lines.

The pipe lines have other problems, like BP letting them go for years and then they break. Ethanol has nothing to do with that.

Have you seen how it's distorted corn prices - all because Obama wanted to buy Iowa's votes? In Brazil (WAY aead of us) they use sugar beets. But sugar beet farmers aren't in the first state that votes in the US primaries!

Oh great, here we go.....

I invest a lot.

Are you aware it cost 8k to retrofit each fuel pump to make them so Ethanol didn't ruin them? Someone asked what about our cars if it does that to the pmps. The answer was buy a new car!! Seriousely.

As Richard Feynman said, "Great claims call for great evidence." Prove this 8k claim.

Do just a little research on Ethanol. Take off your tree hugger hat and put on your thinking cap. In the end you should actually come to the same conclusion even if you keep your tree hugger hat on! You just gotta do a little research and think a little bit.

You are telling people to do research but then you make claims without any proof.

Never believe what a politician tells you. As Reagan said "trust, but verify" at the minimum.

Agreed.

Respectfully you are misguided.

The 8k claim was from the independent gas retailers association.

You CAN'T ship Ethanol in a pipeline because of CORROSION!

In your BTU calculation you forgot trucking the corn to the plant, the LARGE volume of water that is uses(the next crisis is water), the byproduct produced and trucking the ethanol (since it can't be piped) to be distributed. This also doesn't include the CO2 produced which is a whole additional story.

Don't believe me. Infact run the highest concentration of Ethanol in everything you can. Especially engines that set around a lot, or are air cooled, or old engines (typically carbeurated).

Gotta run. Between Obama and the Europeans the market is crapping out again.

Please point me to an independent study that says Ethanol DOESN'T cause corrosion (mostly as a result of drawing moinsture). Because I'm about done trying to educate you. I'll settle for evidence that they are shipping it through normal pipelines. Ethanol was one of the primary reasons Buffett bought the railroad - corn in, Ethanol out - all needs transported.

All Ethanol is bad. CORN based Ethanol was necessary to buy votes. But seriousely look at Brazil who perfercted this long ago with sugar beets and grasses and other "biomass waste". And lately they have seemingly been backing away from Ethanol.

And there was an Ethanol thread here. We should probably keep this to Seafoam. If you want to discuss things in the Ethanol thread or start a new one feel free. When I have time we can discuss it there.

Have a nice day.

assuming that the corn DOESNT need to be shipped, its simply teleported to where its going, getting 20 units of NEW energy for every 100 invested/expended, thats really not worth the not-yet-pointed-out cost of swapping an entire country, the most oil-hungry country on earth, by far, to a totally new infrastructure.

and nobody yet mentioned also that fertilizers are made of petroleum. try researching how much fertilizer is need for growing corn in a region that was stripped of any REAL topsoil almost a century ago?? which, incidentally, was a major cause of the great depression, and dust bowl.

corn is one of the most inefficient, soil stripping, nutritionally void crops known to man. but alot of rich old turds were already invested in it in the turn of the century. so now the shove it down our throats in every dang product at the supermarket, and the gas station too now.

its funny you mention pot, rooster, cause i bet hemp would be much more ideal for an ethanol source. it isnt very fatty or sugary like corn, so you wouldnt get much per pound of overall plant. but hemp is a much better crop. doesnt take hardly any pesticides, corn is famous for taking truckloads. it absorbs TONS of co2. and its practically a legume, in the sense that it ADDS nitrogen to the soil, versus corn being one of the worst plants known for stripping anything useful in the soil. cotton also.

but as was pointed out, this was someones elses thread about something else entirely.

what IS seafoam? ive heard either that its GREAT, or that its total crap. its like black licorice. nobody is "okay" with it. you love it or you hate it, no gray area in between.

and, sorry to get back to the alcohol in gas subject for a second, but i wonder the same thing about seafoam as i wonder about HEET. it gets rid of things you dont want in your engine. <seafoam=solid deposits, HEET=water>

if it gets rid of it, WHERE does it go? how does it just get out? same as they asked georgy porgy bush, "whats the exit strategy?"

i know some fuel systems have a vent for unburned vapor. like a purge valve sorta design. does that let out moisture like unwanted h2o? is seafoam like a detergent type of thing?

and sorry, but i have one last hijack. what do people on here think of lucas oil upper-cylinder lube? good/bad? helps/hurts/does nothing? ive used it here and there for a few years in high-mileage cars. my mexican buddy who is decent with older cars, he basically said it DOES what its supposed to do, RESTORES COMPRESSION IN LEAKY CHAMBERS/RINGS etc, but in doing so it wears them out even worse. kinda in the same logic as:

if i put a new engine when my old one wears out, the equally worn out, but still functional tranny will be pushed over the edge, because its not fresh enough to tolerate all that fresh engine power.

any thoughts?

yes, i am still hijacking the thread in a sense, but at least im closer to intended topic than we were getting previously.

Come on... you can't go back to the original question before other people get into the fray, can you? :D

Just joking. I just wanted to set something straight:

- Ethanol in Brazil is produced from sugar cane, not beets

- The US has been subsidizing the corn farmers in this country for decades, long before Obama got to the White House. The corn is sold for half what it costs to produce it. Google "PBS corn movie" and you'll understand why ethanol is needed. It has nothing to do with reducing the dependency from oil.

It's true...

My oil dipstick had some varnish baked on its very tip....after dipping it in some 'Seafoam' it had basically completely dissolved after only 5 minutes. (alright...I had to massage it a little with a Q-tip)

Be careful, tho...'cause excessive use will cause oil seals to fail prematurely! (and perhaps gaskets as well!)

Cheers!

--Damien

I wonder why nobody mentions tapping into an inmense source of metane: cow's farts. In terms of generarion of greenhouse gases it would be a double play... :lol:

I have a saturn with the infamous stuck oil rings... I see some seafoam in my future. I just wonder if I can get into trouble if I do the treatment in a public road. Any anecdotes in this regard?

Not to Hi-Jack O/Ps thread but (ah,never mind that part..lol) will Seafoam help with noisy lifters ? oil level is spot on and no oil pressure light (actually goes out a sec or two after starting).. I'm using 10w30 for weight.(in my older Soobs (92),i have used 20w50 before)..my 97 Outback has a little over 200K..the ticking goes away after a few mins of driving but would love to have no tick at idle..

Try a lighter viscosity oil. 5/ 30 . Remember, the first number is the oils thickness at ambient temp. So, a 5 or 0 will flow much faster cold and quiet your engine. The second number 30 or 40 etc , is the thickness of the oil in a warmed up engine. I believe its measured at 212 deg. So, instead of going up in viscosity. Try going down. A thicker oil will just make the tap worst and last longer