Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control on 98 Forester

Hi, looking to see if anyone can direct me on things to check as far as getting my vacuum cruise control to work, it is factory installed activeted on the lower right of the steering column with a lever. Here is what I have done so far, the switch seems to work as the LED light comes on, the vacuum line goes from the cable drive unit (passenger side firewall), to a nipple on intake runner cylinder three nice and tight both ends, I removed and tested the clutch switch (this is the one lower down near the pedal, blue connector), the switch is in closed position clutch engaged (driving) and open with clutch disengaged (pedal down), I even removed the switch and shorted the two leads with a wire. I unplugged and replugged the CC ECU. Is there an available wiring diagram with switch logic legend, any help very much appreciated.

ya, the brake switch I'm getting to that today, I found the exact wiring diagram and can check the pin on the CC ECM connector and activate the brake to make sure I get the right condition at the corresponding pin at the CC ECM, one thing I did find was a document stating pin 9 at the CC ECM (clutch switch wire) should have 12 volts with clutch engage, up, driving condition, no way do I get this with the clutch switch open or closed, actually right now the switch is out and I'm using a jumper in the connector socket

thanks about the horn test.t does work, it seems the culprit is the CC ECM unit itself, a test procedure that I obtained tells me that pin 9 on the unit which goes to the MT clutch switch should have 12 volts on it (voltage supplied by CC ECM itself live on pin 9), well there is no voltage even with the switch removed, until I get that rectified there is no use testing further (everything else seems to be in order). If anyone else has a 98 Forester with MT I would appreciate what they find on pin 9 of the CC ECM unit because the clutch switch when clutch is up, driving position, engaged, is in closed postion to ground which would give 0 volts and not 12 volts at pin 9 (BTW is a blue yellow wire), but as I say the switch whether in or out makes no difference, cruise control still does not work. I just don't want to buy a new unit until I'm sure.

thanks, but the switch on the column seems to be working, it appears to be the ECM unit down inside the driver left kick panel, I do have the PN for it, but I would want to try it first or if someone had the same unit in their car take some voltage readings. It's that pin ( blue/yellow wire that seems to be the problem, still some confusion because the test procedure says I should have 12 volts with the clutch pedal up, driving, engaged, well with my clutch switch the switch is in the closed position with the pedal up and applies ground to pin 9, so there is a conflict, still pin 9 has no voltage even with the switch removed