Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When is the Turbo supposed to engage?

jeryst

I've owned my wagon for over a month now, and I never see the Turbo light come on, even under hard acceleration. The car runs really well, and seems much quicker than the 94 non-turbo Loyale that I last had.

Actually, I did see the turbo light come on a couple of times one day when I was on the interstate with the A/C on, and going up a long hill. But other than that, I've never seen it come on.

Should it come on under hard acceleration?

It should come on very easily. You should install a cheap boost gauge to see if you are even getting any boost pressure. The light comes on based on a pressure switch - when manifold pressure goes positive (higher than ambient air pressure) the switch trips the light. Could be a bad switch.... or perhaps you aren't actually getting much boost. Which doesn't sound like it's the case since a turbo without boost is pretty gutless due to the low compression ratio.

GD

I've owned my wagon for over a month now, and I never see the Turbo light come on, even under hard acceleration. The car runs really well, and seems much quicker than the 94 non-turbo Loyale that I last had.

Actually, I did see the turbo light come on a couple of times one day when I was on the interstate with the A/C on, and going up a long hill. But other than that, I've never seen it come on.

Should it come on under hard acceleration?

Yes it should come on. You may have a sticking boost control valve (forget the exact name right now).