Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hybrid axle help- asap!!

im doing a 5 lug swap, 88 gl d/r

23 spline at tranny

i have xt6 axles

the ea82 inner cups do not fit, the xt6 axles are larger inside

sooo...do i put the xt6 outer onto the ea axle?? if so how the hell do i get them off? im a big guy and have wailed on the doner axle to no avail. help!!

'94-'95 FWD 5-speed Imp axles are what you need.

Atleast that's what I've read on here...

Need to get some myself to install the D/R 5-speed, but I'm going to run the XT6 trans for the time being.

EDIT:

Seems the above info is wrong. :( I apparently wrote it down wrong when I was digging thru threads looking for the info myself.

Appology offered...

Edited by TomRhere

ya-

question is-the doj from the ea does not fit the xt6 axle- what is the solution

the doj. Sounds like you're just trying to swap the cup itself. Have you tried the whole joint? From what I've been able to tell, you should be able to swap an EA82 inner race onto an XT6 shaft. And then the whole joint will swap over.

of course, I'm sure not all EA82 shafts are identical. I think FWD ones are a bit more beefy and such. So some experimenting will be necessary to find the combination that works.

'94-'95 FWD 5-speed Imp axles are what you need.

Atleast that's what I've read on here...

Need to get some myself to install the D/R 5-speed, but I'm going to run the XT6 trans for the time being.

Sorry, but answers like this are why this thread was created:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119430

It's '93-'94 impreza FWD 5MT that have 23-spline inner joints, but the outers are partial to EJ knuckles (it's possible to mix and match EJ/ER knuckles and axles, but some fancy bearing seals will be needed).

i've never gotten the outer CV's off without bashing the joint so much that i don't know that i'd ever want to use those parts again - excdept as place holders for FWD conversions. so i hear you on not being able to get them apart.

if you already have the impreza FWD axles then maybe another option is to just get some EJ hubs on the front.

then you'd have wide open brake options too, being able to use a multitude of EJ brakes for upgrades.

XT6 stuff isn't that hard to find but brake pads, rotors, caliper hardware, bearings, seals, and axles may be easier to source and have more upgrade/OEM and aftermarket sources if they were EJ.

so- i installed impreza axles, they are too long- so i lengthened the control arms 1 inch

worked perfect

used full xt6 spindles, control arms, sways

impreza axles, 99 outback struts with xt6 springs and top hats

xt6 rear brakes, plates, hubs

someone less drunk then i needs to do a how too for other members

the end result was a 1.25 lift in front, sits level now

What did you use for wheel bearing seals? I know the EJ inner seal has completely different dimensions than XT6 ones.

We're working on this right now with the loyale formerly known as the FrankenWagon. It's been 4-lug since I put a non-turbo transmission and such in it 2 years ago when I sold it. Current owner is re-5-lug swapping it, but keeping the non-turbo trans.

With 3 XT6 axles, 5 non-turbo EA82 axles, and a bunch of other random parts, we managed to make one 23-spline XT6 axle. The one 23-spline inner cup that worked came off a remanufactured axle that had a larger shaft than any of the other EA82 axles we have.

Also, the 3 complete XT6 axles are not the same, and the broken XT6 shaft that came out of my '89 after the accident is different still. I'm not sure exactly what cars they all came off of, but they were definitely all AWD.

I know with about 99% certainty that FWD Legacies got beefier front axles (DOJs and shafts), but they are completely interchangeable with AWD axles. I suspect the same is true of EA82 FWD axles, and since they are interchangeable, aftermarket companies superseded them with the same part number.

Meaning, when he went in a bought a remanufactured axle for his 4WD subaru, they gave him a FWD axle. It worked completely but is actually slightly different.

*breath*

This means a few things.

While there are only 2 different outer splines (4-lug and 5-lug), and 2 different inner splines (23 and 25), there are a whole lot more combinations of joints, races, and shafts.

This means that there are many axles that are different, but interchangeable, so, who knows what you might find.

At the end of the day, we made one axle with the parts we had, but I have no clue what those parts are originally off of, since they were obviously different than the other axles that were on the same donor cars.