Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need ideas on odd braking behavior

We never have figured out why his brakes aren't very strong. The same bleeding process that I've always used on EA81's doesn't work on his. Even after changing everything in the system (except the HH which doesn't leak and the soft lines) his brakes are still worse than my hatch with the exact same system. I've done brakes on many Brats including my old '85 that now belongs to another board member and I've never had this problem. All his calipers are new and he's on his second reman master cylinder.

It's either the soft lines, or there's some problem with the hard lines that's holding air bubbles.

GD

Not sure this relates as this was on my daughter's EA-82 wagon... And it been many years ago that we went through something very simular... From what I remember the emergency brake was out of adjustment loose, and nothing helped the brake feel, many parts changed and lots of quarts of brake fluid blead through the system... after a e-brake adjust, it got back to normal. It might just be worth a look.

IASUBE

Not sure this relates as this was on my daughter's EA-82 wagon... And it been many years ago that we went through something very simular... From what I remember the emergency brake was out of adjustment loose, and nothing helped the brake feel, many parts changed and lots of quarts of brake fluid blead through the system... after a e-brake adjust, it got back to normal. It might just be worth a look.

IASUBE

+1 I had this problem on mine couldn't figure it out till I adjusted the ebrake