Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I test my rebuilt starter?

I finally was able to remove the starter from my 2000 OBW. Replaced the contacts, and am now ready to reinstall it, but thought it might be a good idea to test it first. Jumper cables to the battery, I assume, but what about that small wire contact next to the positive terminal on the solenoid? What do I do to/with it? TIA.

Just a heads up--there are at least 4 different configurations for the contacts (yes, the first 3 sets I received were the wrong ones!)

If possible remove your old ones from the starter and carry them to the shop with you so you can make a visual match.

I have never had one go on my Subaru. How hard is it to replace on a Forester? It looks simple to get to, but I have always been a little afraid of in-proper adjustment and messing up the flywheel. Maybe I will never have to cross the bridge but who knows.

You can't put the starter in wrong. It only goes in one way, seat it all the way and bolt it up. There really isn't much to it.